Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Barrel Heat Affecting Scope? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/barrel-heat-affecting-scope-18545/)

mmhoium 09-26-2009 04:19 PM

Barrel Heat Affecting Scope?

I mounted a Nikon scope onto my .223 and the objective lens is about 1/16th of an inch above the barrel. When the barrel heats up will this cause damage to my scope? I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for any help...

-mmhoium

RL357Mag 09-26-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmhoium (Post 165795)
I mounted a Nikon scope onto my .223 and the objective lens is about 1/16th of an inch above the barrel. When the barrel heats up will this cause damage to my scope? I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. Thanks for any help...

-mmhoium

As long as it's not in direct contact with the barrel you should be fine. The only effect you will notice is convection currents caused by the heat, which may or may not interfere with your aiming. It would take much more contact than from one point on the objective bell, over a long time to cause seal leaks or lens separation. The epoxy's used in lens assemblies today are much more tolerant of heat and shock than they were years ago, as are the seals in the scope tubes which prevent nitrogen leaks.

mmhoium 09-26-2009 05:43 PM

Thanks for the help!

mrm14 09-27-2009 01:42 AM

The barrel heating will not affect modern scopes, however, the heating of the barrel will affect the accuracy of the rifle in adverse ways especially if it is a stock barrel and you are shooting for longer range accuracy.

Dillinger 09-27-2009 02:15 AM

mm - You would have to be doing a TON of shooting, on a hot day, to even see the heat from the barrel in the glass ( convection like RL is talking about ). Even if your barrel is pencil thin, it would take a lot to heat the outside of the barrel to the point of giving off "excessive" heat. We are talking thousands of rounds of sustained or heavy fire.

If the day is that hot, I would be more worried about mirage downrange than the heat from the barrel.

Almost all modern scopes have coatings on the lenses that are applied to resist scratches and by products from firing, including "barrel heat".

I think you will be just fine.

JD

masterPsmith 09-27-2009 02:58 AM

I chimed in a little late, but, "NO" it will not affect your scope at all. I thought I'd make it a short answer..........

Jim..................

layton 09-27-2009 06:42 AM

If you are firing for effect, then the heat will affect shot groups,You only want to fire 3/5 rounds, then let the barrel cool to touch, then fire the next series.

Layton

cpttango30 09-27-2009 06:44 PM

You may see heat waves in the scope if it is of a higher power. I had a 36x scope on my 223 for a while and abut abotu 10 ot 12 shots I could see the heat and on a hot day in the virginia sun I could hardly see a target.

A lot of it has to do with the power of your scope. If you are running the boring 3-9x40mm scope then I highly doubt you will see any differance. If youa re running a 36x or something like a nightforce 12-42x56mm then yes your going to see a differance at longer ranges.

NGIB 09-27-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanG23 (Post 166085)
I don't have an answer either and don't wanna tell you anything incorrect, but I do have a question. do you have a picture to show your mounted nikon scope on your .223?

Why do you ask for folks to put up pictures in nearly every post you make? Are you working for the administration, documenting us evil gun owners and the toys we have?

mmhoium 09-27-2009 07:18 PM

Haha, agreed on the picture comment...

It is a "boring 3-9x40" scope, at least for now. I'm poor so I can't afford the nightforce just yet. But it is a Nikon scope going on a SU-16CA so I don't imagine that I will be pounding out hundreds of rounds a minute. And I hate high rise rings, but I didn't want to mess up a new scope either. Thanks everybody for the input!