Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > AR15 scope riser help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default AR15 scope riser help

I'm thinking about putting a scope on my flat top. I would like to retain use of my iron sights but use the scope as a primary. I don't really want to cant the iron sights at 45 degrees but would prefer something where I could see through the mount. Is this idea feasible or will it put the scope up too high?

If this is doable, anyone with a specific recommendation or link would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1078 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 506

The only way that I know of is use a quick release style scope mount.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I'm thinking about putting a scope on my flat top. I would like to retain use of my iron sights but use the scope as a primary. I don't really want to cant the iron sights at 45 degrees but would prefer something where I could see through the mount. Is this idea feasible or will it put the scope up too high?

If this is doable, anyone with a specific recommendation or link would be appreciated.
Depends on the scope. What you are describing is known as cowitnessing and is usually done with a red dot or other electronic optic that may fail in the field in which case the BUIS come into play. The problem with a standard hunting scope is the length...it may sit too far back to leave any room for the rear sight.

Here's a pic with a shorter CQB type scope cowitnessed with flip up BUIS.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was thinking a tactical sized scope. I had been looking at the Nikon P223 scopes. Probably the 3-9x.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #5

Quote:
I was thinking a tactical sized scope. I had been looking at the Nikon P223 scopes. Probably the 3-9x.
I wouldn't consider the P223 a tactical sized scope...doubt it will have enough eye relief to be set forward enough to get the BUIS on the rail. You pretty much need to be NOTCH (nose on the charging handle) with a scope like that.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I wouldn't consider the P223 a tactical sized scope...doubt it will have enough eye relief to be set forward enough to get the BUIS on the rail. You pretty much need to be NOTCH (nose on the charging handle) with a scope like that.
I want some magnification but would like to stay in the $200 and below range. Might have to go with a standard riser that is easy off.

What scopes would you consider?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #7

Quote:
I want some magnification but would like to stay in the $200 and below range. Might have to go with a standard riser that is easy off.

What scopes would you consider?
At that price point I would look at the Nikon M-223 or P-223 lines. both offer 1-4 or 3-9 magnification scope with decent sized objectives. Neither will fit with the rear sights raised so you may want to look at a quick release type mount.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-ar15-scopes.html