Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   AR15 scope riser help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/ar15-scope-riser-help-86579/)

aandabooks 03-15-2013 01:27 AM

AR15 scope riser help
 
I'm thinking about putting a scope on my flat top. I would like to retain use of my iron sights but use the scope as a primary. I don't really want to cant the iron sights at 45 degrees but would prefer something where I could see through the mount. Is this idea feasible or will it put the scope up too high?

If this is doable, anyone with a specific recommendation or link would be appreciated.

Txhillbilly 03-15-2013 01:38 AM

The only way that I know of is use a quick release style scope mount.

Jpyle 03-15-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1176506)
I'm thinking about putting a scope on my flat top. I would like to retain use of my iron sights but use the scope as a primary. I don't really want to cant the iron sights at 45 degrees but would prefer something where I could see through the mount. Is this idea feasible or will it put the scope up too high?

If this is doable, anyone with a specific recommendation or link would be appreciated.

Depends on the scope. What you are describing is known as cowitnessing and is usually done with a red dot or other electronic optic that may fail in the field in which case the BUIS come into play. The problem with a standard hunting scope is the length...it may sit too far back to leave any room for the rear sight.

Here's a pic with a shorter CQB type scope cowitnessed with flip up BUIS.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...cture-18-7.png

aandabooks 03-15-2013 02:02 AM

I was thinking a tactical sized scope. I had been looking at the Nikon P223 scopes. Probably the 3-9x.

Jpyle 03-15-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1176546)
I was thinking a tactical sized scope. I had been looking at the Nikon P223 scopes. Probably the 3-9x.

I wouldn't consider the P223 a tactical sized scope...doubt it will have enough eye relief to be set forward enough to get the BUIS on the rail. You pretty much need to be NOTCH (nose on the charging handle) with a scope like that.

aandabooks 03-15-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 1176565)
I wouldn't consider the P223 a tactical sized scope...doubt it will have enough eye relief to be set forward enough to get the BUIS on the rail. You pretty much need to be NOTCH (nose on the charging handle) with a scope like that.

I want some magnification but would like to stay in the $200 and below range. Might have to go with a standard riser that is easy off.

What scopes would you consider?

Jpyle 03-15-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1176573)
I want some magnification but would like to stay in the $200 and below range. Might have to go with a standard riser that is easy off.

What scopes would you consider?

At that price point I would look at the Nikon M-223 or P-223 lines. both offer 1-4 or 3-9 magnification scope with decent sized objectives. Neither will fit with the rear sights raised so you may want to look at a quick release type mount.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-ar15-scopes.html

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/755-...223-1-4x20.jpg

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/755-...scope-8496.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.