AR15 scope
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > AR15 scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 scope

Just wondering if anyone has some good optic suggestions for an AR15. Anyone with experience using optics on AR's would be nice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #2

You need to specify things like.....what your budget is, what kind of optics you want (scope, red dot, ACOG style), what your plans are with the rifle (competition, bench rest shooting, standing). If you don't specify things like this, your extremely vague question will not get you any valid answers.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
You need to specify things like.....what your budget is, what kind of optics you want (scope, red dot, ACOG style), what your plans are with the rifle (competition, bench rest shooting, standing). If you don't specify things like this, your extremely vague question will not get you any valid answers.
Budget I'm flexible on, scope would be preferable, bench rest and standing, distances up to 500 but more often than not will be only 200, and a MOA reticle is preferred.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I would get the Nikon 4-16x50mm with the BDC reticle.

Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF Riflescopes FREE S&H 8421, 8422, 8423. Nikon Monarch Riflescopes, Nikon Riflescopes.

I would then put it in one of these.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-m-223-riflescope-mount-ring.html

Old 02-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #5

I don't know if "flexible" is the best word to use to describe a scope budget. My "flexible" budget would be $400, which won't get you much but it's all that I can afford.....I know guys who spend thousands on scopes. It's like saying your house is "average" size, it doesn't give an accurate depiction because average size houses are different for different people. I'm really trying to help you here, not trying to sound like a dick.......just giving you an explanation for why I think this information is important. As recommended above, Nikon makes pretty clear scopes for their price point......but they do have a pretty low price point. I don't know if they would be sufficient for shooting up to 500 yards.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm. @ $400.00 +1 on the Nikon then. At less than $400.00, you're not going to find an MOA reticle scope that I have ever seen. I'm assuming you mean that you want an scope with MOA ranging subtensions and not a single 1MOA dot in the center since you are talking out to 500 yards (still do-able though). The closest might be a form of the Sightron SIII at about twice that price. Those get a little pricey compared to the modest mid-level Nikon's. I have a Nikon buckmaster BDC and it is a great value. I have a Leupold Mk4 on my FNAR, which is a great scope for the money too due to the expectations I have for it. Believe it or not, Leupold IS a value priced scope. Relative to what you are wanting. Wind among other things is gonna kill that poor little 55gr, .22cal bullet trying to consistently hit at 500 Yds or M. There are other options with it for longer range shooting but you're gonna need an AR barrel that can stabilize heavier bullets. I digress. I would start with Nikon though and see if what they offer is going to satisfy you. PS, be sure you consider what you are going to budget for the optics mounts as well. Often times people find out after they spent all their project funds that they still need to find optics mounts for their AR15. Flat top AR's are a little easier to mount but BUIS sights more than make up for that savings. Optics mounts will make or break a good scope. Good luck and have fun with it. Follow up with some pics and let us see how it turns outq

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
I don't know if "flexible" is the best word to use to describe a scope budget. My "flexible" budget would be $400, which won't get you much but it's all that I can afford.....I know guys who spend thousands on scopes. It's like saying your house is "average" size, it doesn't give an accurate depiction because average size houses are different for different people. I'm really trying to help you here, not trying to sound like a dick.......just giving you an explanation for why I think this information is important. As recommended above, Nikon makes pretty clear scopes for their price point......but they do have a pretty low price point. I don't know if they would be sufficient for shooting up to 500 yards.
I honestly respect your opinion and I thank you for your input. Maybe "flexible" was a poor choice of words. I just recently paid 900.00 after tax for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 for my savage BAS 10. Add an additional 100.00 I don't plan on using it for any serious long distance shooting since I'll rarely be shooting 500 yards and primarily 100-200. Since I'm fairly new to the game, I'm not sure what features I'd need in an optic for my AR when mainly only shooting from 100-200 yards. Would a fixed power scope do the trick? Or should I go with a variable? Would it be better to have wind and elevation adjustments or not? I'm asking for your opinions because I'm not sure what sort of things I should be considering in an optic.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend a variable if you are going to be shooting at longer ranges, and something with target turrets on it. You can look at Millet, which is owned by Bushnell. Their 4-16x56 varmint scopes would fit the bill for you just fine. They have locking target turrets, come with a lens shade, and flip up lens covers and they are right in the 350.00$ range. My father has five of their rifle scopes and won't buy anything else from another manufacturer.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
I would recommend a variable if you are going to be shooting at longer ranges, and something with target turrets on it. You can look at Millet, which is owned by Bushnell. Their 4-16x56 varmint scopes would fit the bill for you just fine. They have locking target turrets, come with a lens shade, and flip up lens covers and they are right in the 350.00$ range. My father has five of their rifle scopes and won't buy anything else from another manufacturer.
Thanks for your advice. I checked out those scopes and mentioned this to the rep at the store I go to and he said if I'm looking at Millet I might as well go with another Vortex scope. I guess Millet is more expensive here and the Vortex is comparable in price but better in quality apparently. Either way I'm going to stick with iron sights for now and when I start to get bored shooting at 200 I'll get an optic and move up to 500 yards. I don't see myself shooting at 500 with the AR very often as my Savage .308 is going to be my long range competition gun. The AR due to it's "restricted" status here in Canada limits me to using it at ranges only. So I'll likely buy some surplus ammo, go to the range, and have some fun firing a couple hundred rounds. When I want some challenging technical shooting, I'll take out my zombie rifle and go do some 800 yard target practice.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #10

Default scope

try the nikon varmint special with the bdc ret