Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > AR15 Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 Optics

What sight/ optics would you recommend for an AR15. Small game hunting and target practice is normally what I use this rifle for. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would concentrate on 1-4x(?) or 2-7x(?) with--- Bushnell, Redfield, Mueller, Burris and Vortec having some very good Models to look at.

Sightron, Leupold, SWFA, Aimpoint, and Trijicon having some excellent top end Models. Depends on what kinda money you want to spend, Magnification, and also the type of Scope.

Then's there's your simple, but sturdy 4x Fixed, that works very well also from Bushnell or Tasco for $29-$39 at WalMart, to SWFA 4x Fixed at $300(?).

Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

1-4x fixed power up to 4x are superb ar15 optics. i run a trijicon 4x acog on mine. my wife runs a aimpoint pro rds.

other quality brands i like are nikon nightforce and vortex.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 620 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt_88 View Post
What sight/ optics would you recommend for an AR15. Small game hunting and target practice is normally what I use this rifle for. Thank you.
consider a low power scope with a red dot. Such as Leupold Firedot 1.5-4x compact.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 379 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

Jon,

can you tell us alittle more about contrasting the Aimpoint PRO witht the ACOG>

Conventional wisdom holds that the ACOG is superior at medium ot far distances but CQB the PRO is abetter choice.

I'd love t get an ACOG and I crave amplification for longer shots but living in a urban area CQB is the primary concern for me so I dont want to shortchange that.

Comments please from someone who owns both?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Jon,

can you tell us alittle more about contrasting the Aimpoint PRO witht the ACOG>

Conventional wisdom holds that the ACOG is superior at medium ot far distances but CQB the PRO is abetter choice.

I'd love t get an ACOG and I crave amplification for longer shots but living in a urban area CQB is the primary concern for me so I dont want to shortchange that.

Comments please from someone who owns both?
purely my opinion:

i prefer the acog.

main reason is under 100 you really dont need much in the way of aiming as the optic itself is much smaller than the target and rifles really become a point and shoot without much need or precise aiming.

i do cowboy action shooting and dont even use the sights on handgun or rifle just point and shoot and its fast and accurate and thats using old school leverguns and sa revolvers. using an ar15 with the acog i just focus on the target and the green chevron superimposes on the target. i like cas just because shooting is shooting learning fast point shooting is a good skill. if you can do that then you really dont need an aimpoint.

at longer ranges it functions just like a regular scope.

with the aimpoint they are only really good 100 and under. anything over they are worse than iron sights. then your constantly fiddling with the rheostat to adjust for ambient light which isnt necessary on the acog.

my wife likes the aimpoint because its easy for her and it works on her shotgun without having to change zero. i think the aimpoint is great for folks that arent going to spend anytime learning marksmanship but need a optic for closer range stuff. red dot-target=boom. simple.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-Trophy-XLT-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48386.aspx

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #8

Jon ( and OP),

I also have an EOtech , which I believes gives better performance at rmnages up to 300m, because the dot is a 1 MOA dot.
Adding the reticle to that it really helps me center the dot as well.
And the reticle serves well for CQB (under 100m).

I guess I would have to try the ACOG sometimes before i commit to spending the $$

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

Thank you all for your opinions. I didn't realize all of the different manufacturers and types of sights that are available.
My price range on this sight will be up to $300. I plan on using the sight mostly for varmint hunting at our property in Texas. In addition, I am not looking for a cheap Walmart type scope. In my local area, if the need to use this rifle arose, I would not be using the sight due to the need for quick response and close quarters.
Some of the locals that I have asked recommend an EOTech reflex sight. Never experiencing a reflex sight, what are your opinions on this?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

With a reflex sight you zero it once at proper cheekweld.

Afterwards the dot , whether a small dot in the middle of a projected reticle (EOtech) or a red dot by itself (Aimpoint PRO) will always stay zero'ed on the target whether you get cheek weld or not.

You no longer have to align your sights properly achieve cheekweld or any of that , you just align the dot over the target and pull the trigger which makes you FAST.

Perfect for CQB or any situation where speed matters.
"red dots" are almost paralxx free. that means no matter how far off (within reason) you are from the dot being in the middle of the scope on top of the target, it iwll still hit where the dot is.
"Holographic sights" are a different class of technology and are completely parallax free and no matter where the dot is in your field of view ( no "within reason" caveat) it will hit the target ( assuming no last minute jerking of course).

The Cheapest of the "professioanl grade" ones are the EOtech 512 a holographic sight (a slightly downgrade dversion of an optic used in the USMC) and the AIMpoint PRO a slightly downgraded version of the M68 of the Army.

Both system can also REALLY help those who for reasons of astigmatism and far sightnedness have trouble using Iron sight reliably.

Since my eye surgery ( which game me perfect long distance vision on the shooting eye) I do have farsightedness and have trouble with Iron sights. with these sights I am again a good shot

W/o a sale they are both around $400.
Cheaper copies mostly chinese made are available for both under 100 bucks..
Some of them work fine, some of them dont.

neither of these sights has any magnification.
Many folks run the Eotech with a flip up "magnifier" behind it.
Tis u can flip down when you shoot close in and just want speed and flip up when u take along shot.
The magnifirs cost real money too though.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Last edited by bluez; 10-26-2013 at 03:00 PM.