AR-15 Scopes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > AR-15 Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR-15 Scopes

Recently acquired an AR-15 (Colt Match Target HBAR in case it matters). I am in the process of adding the bi-pod, quadrails, etc. what i am not as familiar with are the quality of the optics. I would like a Variable zoom scope that could take me to he weapon's effecive range need be. I know you get what you pay for when you go cheap. Is there anything in the $300 range that wou be effective and quality over 300 yards. I know the guns max effective range is approximately 550 yards.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpascale
Recently acquired an AR-15 (Colt Match Target HBAR in case it matters). I am in the process of adding the bi-pod, quadrails, etc. what i am not as familiar with are the quality of the optics. I would like a Variable zoom scope that could take me to he weapon's effecive range need be. I know you get what you pay for when you go cheap. Is there anything in the $300 range that wou be effective and quality over 300 yards. I know the guns max effective range is approximately 550 yards.
Nikon prostaff, leupold, vortex, bushnell, osprey....take your pick

Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am also thinking about adding a scope. There are so many that it is a bit difficult to know what to get. If I spend a bit more than I should I want to be sure it's the right one.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I was not clear enough. Aside from brands, what am i looking for spec wise to achieve my goals of hitting a target at 300 yards.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpascale
I guess I was not clear enough. Aside from brands, what am i looking for spec wise to achieve my goals of hitting a target at 300 yards.
High magnafication, clear glass, mil dots usually are used/or range marks on the cross hairs.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

300 yards is not that big a deal. 0 at 200 yards will be about 2" high at 100 and 4"-6" low at 300 depending on what bullet weight you are shooting. Almost any of the ballistic reticles will get you close out to 500. 4-12X would probably cover your needs. A 3-9x would possibly allow better glass in your price range and would work fine out to 300. Lots of good brand choices.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Now that some good quality scopes have been recommended. The other main consideration is the mount that mounts the good variable scope to the AR Rifle. The eye piece (rear end of the scope) needs to be mounted so that it is even with the rear of the Charging Handle when in the proper position. This can not be accomplished with normal rings mounted on the picatinny rail of the receiver using a good sized scope without causing some problems if the gun is shot from the prone position. This since the eye piece would be way back over the stock with normal rings. Using normal rings you can not move the scope far enough forward to put it in the correct position even with the Charging Handle because the elevation turret strikes the rear of the front ring keeping it from being able to move it forward enough to get it into correct position. We call it GOOSE NECKING if the scope is back over the stock. What you will need is a mount that will move the scope farther forward toward the front of the rifle. There are many good mounts that will accomplish that. So you understand, please take a look at the Rock River Website at the RRA High-rise Scope Mount Model Number ARO130 or Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) Offset Scope Rings. They allow the scope to be moved far enough to obtain correct position on the AR Rifle. If that makes sense! If not PM me and I can explain.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Good stuff Sniper, thanks. I'm heading to the RRA website to get what I need.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

just curious, is the rifle an A3 flat top or an A2 with the carry handle? because this will make a big difference on the scope mount used. i am not for sure, but wasn't the Colt HBAR an A2 carry handle model? all of them i have seen had the carry handle, and i don't know if they made them in flattop version or not.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I went through the same process a few months ago. Look at nikonhunting.com and find the M-223 scopes. They come with a sick BDC 600 retical and I got the 2-8x32mm and love it. Also what made up my mind was Nikon has a software called spot on that you can use on the computer or your iPhone and all you do is plug in the scope and round ur using(even can enter hand load info) and it will tell you every bdc mark and where your bullet will land. This is what my ar looks like now all set up!!

image-2549779649.jpg