Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Anyone know how to paint an ARD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Default Anyone know how to paint an ARD?

I've got an ARD for my rifle (and no, not because I'm trying to be tacticool, but rather because with the Butler Creek cover my sunshade won't screw on and the type shooting I do isn't inhibited at all by leaving the ARD on it all the time) and since I've gone through all the trouble of completely customizing it I want the killflash to match also. So how is it you're supposed to paint these things?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #2

Oh and here's my rifle now without the ARD...

Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4469 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I wouldnt paint the actual honeycomb itself. Just tape over the honeycomb and paint like you would a composite rifle stock.

And no ard's arent tacticool they actually serve a useful purpose in eliminating glare better than a sunshade does

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I wouldnt paint the actual honeycomb itself. Just tape over the honeycomb and paint like you would a composite rifle stock.

And no ard's arent tacticool they actually serve a useful purpose in eliminating glare better than a sunshade does
I don't understand what you mean by taping over it and painting. I was just wanting to have the outer edges a tan or green color like you see on some military scopes so you don't see a big black spot when looking at it from a distance.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4469 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I think they just spray it with a can of krylon...

Personally i wouldnt do that to my gear.

I was referring to covering the ard honeycomb with masking material so you dont get overspray on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I think they just spray it with a can of krylon...

Personally i wouldnt do that to my gear.

I was referring to covering the ard honeycomb with masking material so you dont get overspray on it.
But the ard is what I'm wanting to paint. The rest of the rifle is already painted.

But I read one thread where the guy said the best thing to do us to paint a sponge with whatever color you want and then just barely dab the ard on the sponge so that just the tip is getting colored and the inside isn't getting painted.

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 05-08-2013 at 05:01 PM.