Another Dead Bushnell - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Another Dead Bushnell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i love the see thru mounts on my 30-30 lever.

as was stated, its not a 300 yd rifle. its a brush gun. having the irons there and ready for quick 20 yd running shots is a great option to have, imo.

i wouldnt put them on a long range bolt gun, but theyre great for what theyre designed for, imo.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

The see through mounts could be at least part of the problem. Google "consistent cheek weld" and read. It would be even more important on a rifle used for quick shots on a moving target.
As to the Elite 3200 Tactical, I have that same scope. It has been a trooper for me. It has taken abuse no scope should be put through and come back for more. That's just me though.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 02-28-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It looks like the rifle is a Winchester lever action and while I did not see a caliber mentioned I would assume that it is a 30-30. First point is that this type of leveraction rifle has a two piece stock which tend to be sensitive to "hold pressure". If the rifle is not held the same way each time, more or less foreend down pressure, how tight it is pulled into the shoulder, etc can definately have an impact on group size. A good M-94 can group amazeing well at 100 yards, 1 inch groups are possible, but that is not the norm. Probably more like 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards is more normal. Extend this out to 300 yards and we are talking in terms of 4.5 to 6 inches with perfect holds and conditions.

Next issue is at 300 yards the 30-30 with a 150 Gr flat point bullet will have pleanty of time for even a light puff of wind to blow that bullet all over the place. Six inches or more is very possible.

Why would anyone want to sight in a 30-30 at 300 yards and then state they could hold Kentucky windage for shots at 600 yards. The only thing I would shoot at 600 yards with a 30-30 is dirt clods!

Mabye I am wrong, but I get the feeling that someone is playing games! There are some, but how many ranges are equipped with a 300 yard range? Not many.

I think our writer is having a good laugh.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #14

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default not quite a tack driver

Basically your gun is shooting 6 inch strings at 300 yds which is pretty phoenominal for a 30-30 not to mention the see thruogh rings,scope movement and wind. What kind of ammo are you using? I need to get some for Dads 30-30. Lap the rings,check the crown,watch the reticles not the target, follow through and practice holding the gun exactly the same every shot.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 03-02-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

WalterGa, where in Geporgia? I am in Savannah.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #16

I wouldn't expect a 30-30 to be a nail driver at 150yds. 300yds is just too far for a 30-30 to hit with a huge amount of accuracy. If your aiming for that distance get a .270 or .308, That way youll be happy a bit further than 300yds. :-D

Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #17

IMHO I would use a cantilever mount and scout scope on this gun and never anything more. Let the situation warrant the application. I learned this when I couldnt get my Pinto to run 10 second quarter miles in stock configuration. When I found out what I needed to spend to get it there, I decided just to let it keep being a pinto. (and bought a Mustang).

Old 03-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #18

Default whirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeehs View Post
I wouldn't expect a 30-30 to be a nail driver at 150yds. 300yds is just too far for a 30-30 to hit with a huge amount of accuracy. If your aiming for that distance get a .270 or .308, That way youll be happy a bit further than 300yds. :-D
Right. The 30/30 is an excellent 150 yard rifle. I prefer the Marlin microgroove over my old Winchester. Equipped with no more that a good quality 4X scope, it works very well in the Pa. cut over woods we hunt. However, my son prefers the .35 Remington cartridge. He says "one shot, meat in the pot because they drop in their tracks". It also makes for interesting conversation at camp.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirley View Post
Right. The 30/30 is an excellent 150 yard rifle. I prefer the Marlin microgroove over my old Winchester. Equipped with no more that a good quality 4X scope, it works very well in the Pa. cut over woods we hunt..
Yea, For the main distance I hunt My Dad's 30/30 would work, But it doesn't have a scope. I'm not bad with irons sights, But I'm better with a nice little scope. Here in Tenn. where I hunt, I'm a walker sitting in a stand hasn't appealed to me yet, Your range can range anywhere from 10ft-500yds. Sometimes,We litteraly shoot from Mountain to Mountain.
On my .270 I have a Bushnell 3-9x40mm, Brings cans up nice and Close for target practice!

Last edited by Jeehs; 03-07-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

This is an old thread but I just got back to this site a bit ago and wanted to address the comments in my thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
Extend this out to 300 yards and we are talking in terms of 4.5 to 6 inches with perfect holds and conditions.
When it is scoped, I get less than 2 inches at 300 yards. And that is with a $50 scope.

And there are no issues with "hold pressure". Ridiculous.

Quote:
Next issue is at 300 yards the 30-30 with a 150 Gr flat point bullet will have pleanty of time for even a light puff of wind to blow that bullet all over the place. Six inches or more is very possible.
It is 8 inches in a right angled 10mph wind with a 30-06 using a spire point. 20 inches with the bullet you suggest in a 30-30, it is mathmatics, very easily figured if you know how to estimate wind..

Quote:
Why would anyone want to sight in a 30-30 at 300 yards and then state they could hold Kentucky windage for shots at 600 yards. The only thing I would shoot at 600 yards with a 30-30 is dirt clods!
I shoot targets at that range... Tiny targets.

Quote:
Mabye I am wrong, but I get the feeling that someone is playing games! There are some, but how many ranges are equipped with a 300 yard range? Not many.
My personal range does.

Quote:
I think our writer is having a good laugh.
You are wrong... again. I get this type of comment from people that can't shoot. They seem to think if they can't, no one can.