"Airgun rated" scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > "Airgun rated" scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default "Airgun rated" scope

So I am a day or 2 away from purchasing a rifle with scope combo. I read on the website today

Quote:
All Nikko Stirling Nighteater riflescopes are airgun rated, shockproof and waterproof. Made from Grade A Japanese lenses that are coated for greater light absorption, these scopes perform excellently at dawn, dusk or in overcast light.
What exactly is "Airgun rated". The rifle I want is .308 but I am considering .243 or .223 because of availability. Its the howa / Axiom 1500 that includes the Nikko Stirling scope, but is Airgun rated good enough for a .308 or even a .243 or .223? Seems to me that the kick of a .308 would be many times more than an airgun but maybe I'm just misunderstanding what it means. Any advice on this would be helpful. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #2

I think, just trying to remember what it was, that air guns have a forward and back 'kick', so to speak. Don't quote me..I'm a bit tired. Haven't been to bed in over 24 hrs, so please forgive me if I didn't remember correct.
Hopefully someone can agree or disagree with me to help you.

Best of luck to you.

S.S.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If it says aairgun rated then it means that the scope can be mounted on to a spring piston air rifle as well as a rimfire or centerfire rifle.

You can take a $1000 Leupold and stick it on a gamo or RWS air gun and reduce it to a shell of a scope because of the recoil energy is reversed from what a rimfire or centerfire rifle.

Hope this helps. It will work just fine on your Howa.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Ok that makes more sense. I was worried that there was a rating system and I would have thought Airgun was near the bottom and that for advertising purposes they would display the highest rating.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The forces generated by spring piston pellet rifles, particularly the stronger 1s, exert forces comparable to an very heavy caliber magnum rifle, but in exactly the opposite direction. For that reason, airgun scopes are built to handle that recoil, whereas most centerfire scopes are not.