Aggrevated with scope... Please help.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Aggrevated with scope... Please help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Aggrevated with scope... Please help.

I just bought a cheap Tasco Pronghorn scope. I mounted on my .243, as I dont have anywhere to take long shots. It has been a long time since I even used a scope.

The problem I am having is that If I look away, and back through the scope, I can see the crosshairs plain as day and good, but the target is a blur in the background, and out of focus. If i look through the scope for any period of time, I can see an ant far off, but the crosshairs are gone.

Is this typical scope shooting? Is it me/my eyes, or is it the scope? Is that how it works? How do I know where im gonna hit if the object is in perfect focus, but I cant see crosshairs?

Mossberg 835 3.5 inch, 24inch ported, Knoxx Stock
Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22
Bergo .22 revolver - handed down from Great Grandpa
Chinese SKS Matching Numbers with all extras

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JPS,

At what distance are you looking through the scope when this happens and what is the magnification set on? Back the magnification down to 3 and see if this helps any.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #3

Its a fixed 4x32. The only knobs to turn are the windage and elevation knobs (and the back end screws out, but I think that just removes it).

I am looking from 50 to 125 feet. But it does it at any distance.

Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22

Old 11-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Sounds like your scope may be broken.

OR

You are looking at things way to close. Parallax is set at 100 yards. That means the image and the crosshairs are clear and crisp at 100 yards. to close and the crosshairs will move around your target with the slightest movement of your eye. You need to sit down on the range at a known 100 yard distance and make sure that the image and the crosshairs are clear and crisp if they are not then you need a new scope more than likely.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought parallax only dealt with the movement of the reticle in regards to the target and not with the ability to focus on both at the same time?

Agreed that you should sight it at 100 yds to start, and go from there.

But dang, now I have to go home and look through one of mine bummer

Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #6

Sorry friend, tasco did its best. I think your scope is broken.

Here's a good explanation of parallax

Parallax

Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

"I just bought a cheap Tasco Pronghorn scope." I think that may be your problem as well as parrallax.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not being a snob, but Tasco isn't a very good scope and there are some excellent low budget scopes out there as alternatives.

Take a look at the Nikon Pro-Staff. They run around $125. or so and can be had even cheaper on sale.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 11-16-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
I thought parallax only dealt with the movement of the reticle in regards to the target and not with the ability to focus on both at the same time?

Agreed that you should sight it at 100 yds to start, and go from there.

But dang, now I have to go home and look through one of mine bummer
indeed it does. the xhairs are of all scopes are one plain and the image is on another. parralex can be set from anywhere from 10 yards to 150 yards depending ont he scope and scope manufacturer. typically most cheap scope set for 100yards. this generally cannot be adjused in cheap scopes

the further you stray + or - from the set parralex the more the image will move on the xhairs or the xhairs move on the image. for most deer hunting shots are generally anywhere from 50-150yards and parralex is really a non-factor. parralex only really raises its head with precision shooting where sub-moa starts to matter. or at really long ranges with non-adjustable scopes.

problems with parralex, focus, brightness, and holding zero are VERY common in cheap wally world type scopes. usually these issues start going away or minimize as the price point of the scope hits around the 150-300$ range.

the proper way to set the focus on the eyepiece is to rotate the focus knob all the way left or right and preferably point the weapon at the sky and start to rotate the focus until the xhairs are crisp and clear. as soon as they are crisp look away and look back. if they are not immediately clean crips and clear rotate a litle more till you can look away and back and have them remain in focus.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
indeed it does. the xhairs are of all scopes are one plain and the image is on another. parralex can be set from anywhere from 10 yards to 150 yards depending ont he scope and scope manufacturer. typically most cheap scope set for 100yards. this generally cannot be adjused in cheap scopes

the further you stray + or - from the set parralex the more the image will move on the xhairs or the xhairs move on the image. for most deer hunting shots are generally anywhere from 50-150yards and parralex is really a non-factor. parralex only really raises its head with precision shooting where sub-moa starts to matter. or at really long ranges with non-adjustable scopes.

problems with parralex, focus, brightness, and holding zero are VERY common in cheap wally world type scopes. usually these issues start going away or minimize as the price point of the scope hits around the 150-300$ range.

the proper way to set the focus on the eyepiece is to rotate the focus knob all the way left or right and preferably point the weapon at the sky and start to rotate the focus until the xhairs are crisp and clear. as soon as they are crisp look away and look back. if they are not immediately clean crips and clear rotate a litle more till you can look away and back and have them remain in focus.
The crosshairs are perfectly clear when I look through the scope at the sky. Its just when I look through it at an object that the crosshairs are almost invisible. Im starting to think its my eye focus???

Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22

Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

WHen was the last time you went to get your eyes checked?