advice on a scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > advice on a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default advice on a scope

I have a remington bdl 270 and I'm looking to put up to 400 bucks in a new scope. The farthest I would ever shoot would be under 300, and I'd like a scope that absorbs alot of light. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

jwhirl - For a hunting scope in this range, I would suggest something with a fairly wide adjustable range, something like 3 x 9.

The higher the power of the magnification, the smaller the field of view that you can see through the scope is going to become. So, if you got some high power scope, cranked it up to a high setting and looked for a target at 100 yards, you would be searching all over the place for it, because your field of view would be so small.

The down side to a limited magnification scope is that you can't "zoom in" on a target and get pin point to what you are looking to hit. With a paper punching rifle, this is more critical, with a hunting rifle, not so much.

Minute of Deer/Elk is a BIG target, so a limited power scope would treat you right. A good low power will allow a great field of view at close targets and a mid level higher power will allow a better picture image without compromising the area you can search with the glass.

3 x 9 or so would be my recommendation with 4.5 x 14 being about the highest I could conceivably recommend on a true, carry into the brush hunting rifle.

As for brands - I personally like Leupold, but the Bushnell Elite line is a really good scope as well. There are a TON of opinions on glass makers out there, so I am sure you will get plenty of recommendations.

The BEST advice I can give you is this: Go to the store and look through a few of them. they have mock stocks in most quality stores that you can "mount up" a couple of scopes and compare the clarity. This is important.

When it comes to glass, you really do get what you pay for...

JD

Old 06-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

JD, thanks for the insight, you've made some really good points that i'm going to have to ponder...looks like i'm gonna have to let the wife know i may have to spend and entire day at the gun shop, dang, i really wish i could stay home and help her clean...

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Anytime my friend - I am bumping this back up. Stalkingbear and Cpttango should be by here shortly to add some glass makers to the list.

JD

Old 06-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #5

I'm a big fan of Nikon, and have had great experiences with their products. Currently I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x-9x BDC on my R700 Tactical. It will eventually get moved to my Marlin .270, and I'll put another Nikon with Mil-Dots on the Remmy.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have a Nikon on the way to my house as we speak. It is for my 223 varmint rifle and I did a bad bad thing, I traded a Leupold for it.

You can get very good optics but not a lot of extras in the $400 to $600 price range. My 308 wears a Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40mm (Bench gun). My 223 had a Leupold vx-II 6-18x40mm The leupold is bright and clear as is the bushnell. I have looked threw Nikons and they are just as good or better than both the vx-II line and the elite 4200 line.

Don't forget Weaver many have and still do knock weaver scopes but they produce a high quality scope that is not only good but one of the best scopes in the price range you are looking at.

Power and size are both relitive to what you are doing. I pack a 13# varmint rifle on ground hog hunts So scope sizer makes little differance to me. My 308 gets packed from the car to the bench so scope size and weight really doesn't matter to me.

You say you want a lot of light, well contrary to what many believe the 1" tube is the hindrance in the light transmission of scope with 42mm or larger objectives (Front lens). If you want the most light with a 44 or 50mm or even 56mm objective you want a 30mm tube. 1"= 25mm so your gaining 5mm in diameter. Another thing that helps light transmission just as much as tube size and objective size is coating. the better the coating the better the light transmission is going to be.

You can find a few 30mm tubes in the $400 to $600 range but they are right at the top end of that range.

Here are the scopes i think you should look into.

Weaver
Leupold VX-II not rifleman or VX-1 line they both SUCK.
Bushnell elite 3200 and 4200
Burris Full Field.
Nikon monarch and pro staff and buckmark.
If you want to same some money for ammo look at Mueller optics.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Two of my M1A's are topped with Burris Fullfield TAC30 scopes and they have performed quite well. I haven't had any problem with them holding zero and don't see any blurring with them.