acog or acog or other option i havent considered?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

acog or acog or other option i havent considered??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thanks, Jon.
I was hoping I wasn't wanting to get another POS that I would end up not liking.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I have a friend with an ACOG and it's freaking awesome! I would get one if I could afford to. My question is why green over red? I just feel that the human brain perceives red as danger and that might help with target acquisition. Red tends to stand out while green is a more common color in nature and clothing.
I think it has something to do with the fact that you can see Green dots in a lot lower light than red.

Last edited by PowerViolence; 05-03-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Thanks, Jon.
I was hoping I wasn't wanting to get another POS that I would end up not liking.
vortex are very good they come with a lifetime of the product no bs warranty regardless of whether you bought it new or used or never sent the warranty card. if you break it or it breaks they fix or replace for free. they are based in wisconsin and service their products in house.

just dont expect it to be as good as an aimpoint its not. but for the price point its he best. i havent been able to get the poi to shift. i took the vortex off my rifle tossed it in the bed of the truck let it bounce around in there all day. ended up at the range put it back on and it was still zeroed.

havent tried abusing the sparc. both come with co-witness and lower 1/3 cowitness mounts if you get the package with mounting system.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ended up ordering a acog TA31FG the one with the green reticle. alsso ordered a qd mount from larue. acog should be here friday maybe thursday.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

You lucky... I'm sure you'll be very pleased. Congrats

Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8192 Times on 4478 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ended up ordering a acog TA31FG the one with the green reticle. alsso ordered a qd mount from larue. acog should be here friday maybe thursday.
Congratulations. But be aware that you have now been seduced by the Dark Side, and from now on, nothing else will quite measure up!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Congratulations. But be aware that you have now been seduced by the Dark Side, and from now on, nothing else will quite measure up!
heh, ive got lots of different optics for different needs. i know they are superb so is my niteforce nxs and leupold mk4. ive also got optics from ww2 while not great with the glass have been proven in the crucible of a world war i do like the acogs ive looked at em in stores never used one

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #18

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
planning out an "ohsht here it comes!!" ar15. there are two acogs im interested in the ta31f with green chevron and the m150rco with green as well. difference is 200$ in price more for the 150. i cant tell the real difference between the two and decide if 200$ more for the 150 is worth it.

i cant find any contrast and compair features to make an educated decision.

oh, its going on either a bcm 16" midlength a4 lightweight or an rra in a similar config. difference between em is the 1/9 twist rra or a bit better gun but with 1/7 from bcm.
I don't know if the twist will matter, but I have a TA31H (same, just a diff reticle) and the hold over "hash marks" of the reticle are calibrated for a 62gr 5.56

If you plan on shooting the lighter ammo, it won't be dead on. The main part of the reticle will be, but not the BDC.

Just something to consider.

Edit to add:

Also, I think the main difference between the TA31F and the 150RCO is the RCO has the tennabrex ARD, with the flip up caps. I don't know why it would make it $200 more though, I added it to mine and it was only about $65 total.

It's the only way to get lens caps on an ACOG, so it was worth every penny. I usually remove it once I'm at the range.

Last edited by Chandler51; 05-08-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus
I have a friend with an ACOG and it's freaking awesome! I would get one if I could afford to. My question is why green over red? I just feel that the human brain perceives red as danger and that might help with target acquisition. Red tends to stand out while green is a more common color in nature and clothing.
The stated advantage of green over red is visibility in very bright sunlight.

I can't imagine it would be better than red, but thats the claim.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I don't know if the twist will matter, but I have a TA31H (same, just a diff reticle) and the hold over "hash marks" of the reticle are calibrated for a 62gr 5.56

If you plan on shooting the lighter ammo, it won't be dead on. The main part of the reticle will be, but not the BDC.

Just something to consider.

Edit to add:

Also, I think the main difference between the TA31F and the 150RCO is the RCO has the tennabrex ARD, with the flip up caps. I don't know why it would make it $200 more though, I added it to mine and it was only about $65 total.

It's the only way to get lens caps on an ACOG, so it was worth every penny. I usually remove it once I'm at the range.
thanks im well aware of bullet weight/velocity issues with a bdc. since i reload i can duplicate military loadings. the difference in impact is good enough at any range inside 600m to get minute of goblin with any loading. thats what im looking for.

i couldnt find any reson other than windage marks and an ard to justify an extra 200$

red is harder to see against a green background and in very low light than green is. ill take some pics later of the strikefire and its red/green against various backgrounds