Acog
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Acog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Acog

Ok so I want to put an ACOG on my Colt LE6920 but I'm pretty lost on the different options and what will fit my needs. It's going to be a range only weapon, I don't hunt, so battery illuminated shouldn't be necessary. I do like the fiber optics though. As for distance I probably won't attempt to stretch it out much past 300 yards. I really don't know what other questions to ask myself. I was kinda hopin you all could assist me in that. To be honest my head is swimming a bit. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

an acog is only made by trijicon there is a battery powered version but im pretty certain that i never want a battery operated acog... kinda defeats the purpose of a true day/nite optic.

typically an acog uses ambient light during the daytime through a fiber optic line to gather light and the reticle is illuminated brighter than ambient light. this allows the optic to adjust automatically to the light conditions. its pretty astounding to be watching through a acog or accupoint as it shifts from day to dusk to nite and the reticle just gradually automatically shifts from sun powered to tritium powered.

they are rugged as hell but they arent target optics by any stretch.

if its a range only firearm why not get a nice 1-4 or 2-10 power scope. nikon makes really nice AR15 oriented scopes and the trijicon acupoint is also a superb optic.

its hard to beat an acog for a GP role but if all your ever going to do is punch paper on a target range i think you will be a little disapointed with an acog.

i own an acog and several other types of optics from red dots to high powered long range precision optics.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

Or get the ACOG with the red crosshair. I have 3 ACOGS, and I'm saving my shekels for another one. (I want a 6X ACOG for my .308 DPMS AR-10)

Winston Churchill

Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

You can buy a new gun for the price of an acog

Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
You can buy a new gun for the price of an acog

Yep. a quality optic is about the same price as a quality rifle.

Winston Churchill

Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Yep. a quality optic is about the same price as a quality rifle.
then you have two rifles and no optics heh.

the rifle is only half the equation. the sighting system is the other half. even shooting irons there is a huge difference in quality as not all track true to their adjustments.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for ACOG's. They have their place. It is a not a for everyone, or every situation scope. I own a few, and they hold zero very well. IMHO it is not really a good scope for the range, at least not over 100 yards. It is a very good bugout scope, because it is very rugged.
The optics are sharp and clear. My only negative comment is that sometimes 4X is not enough.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmedic964 View Post
Ok so I want to put an ACOG on my Colt LE6920 but I'm pretty lost on the different options and what will fit my needs. ..... I really don't know what other questions to ask myself. I was kinda hopin you all could assist me in that. To be honest my head is swimming a bit. Thanks
If I'm not mistaken your Colt LE6920 has a Picatinny rail on top of the receiver. That makes it very simple for mounting an ACOG. I've included a photo showing how my ACOG is mounted on the Picatinny rail on my M&P15 OR.

When I ordered my ACOG, it came with the TA51 mount, which is shown in the above photo. The ACOG is attached to the mount and the mount is then attached to the rail. So easy, a caveman could do it.

Trijicon added a battery powered ACOG some time ago and I would pass on that one. Between the tritium power source (which will eventually need attention) and the fiber optic, it has the best of both reticle illumination methods available, IMO.

The biggest issue with getting an ACOG, IMO, is the plethora of reticle configurations. Which one to get? I got a somewhat conventional cross hair style configuration and have been completely satisfied with it. Using the ACOG, I've shot my rifle out to 400 yds, but I am typically shooting at 200 yds or less when using it. My ACOG, a TA11J-G model, provides my older eyes with 3.5x magnification and that works well for me.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Last edited by arizona98tj; 07-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #9

Liked 380 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Picked one up this morning. Have to wait till next week to zero it.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts

I always that "have to wait a week" thing.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com