You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

$500 Scope? What's good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
CowboyBill, What one person calls the "Best" is just an opinion,not fact. Everyone's eyes are different,what looks good to one person isn't the same to another.
When you're talking Long Range Optics,the two main things that count are the Mechanical aspects of the scope,and the clarity/quality of the Lenses and type of Coatings used on them. Then you can look at all the extra gizmo's that come with the scope that help the operator use the scope to it's potential.

Precision Rifle Blog did one of the best comparison test on high end scopes that has ever been done a couple years ago. They tested 18 high end "Tactical" scopes,and they range from $1500-$7000 scopes.
This review gives a very good test result as to where a scope actually rates in real world of usefulness.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/07/01/tactical-scopes-field-test-overview-rifle-scope-line-up/

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

I look for two things in a scope.
1. It must track true,if it doesn't you can't trust your shots down range.
2. It must have good clear glass,and good coatings.
All the "Bells & Whistles" that are thrown into the scope are just extras to me.

The new scope that I purchased for my custom bolt action build is the IOR Valdada 4-28x50 Recon. On the above test,it rates at #7 of the 18 scopes tested,but if you look at the two categories that I look at the most - Mechanical & Optical,this scope is only beat buy 3 scopes costing a lot more money,or have a reticle choice that I don't care for.
I looked at several of the scopes that were in my price range before I made this purchase. You have to look at each scope outdoors to really see how they perform in real light,not inside a store.

The main difference between a hunting scope and one used for long range type shooting is the Mechanical components. There are plenty of hunting scopes with great glass,but they are meant to be set at your zero and left there. Very few have the strength internally,or the tracking ability to take cranking the turrets back and forth often. IMO,That's why they came out with all the different styles of BDC reticles for the average shooter to learn and use for longer hunting shots without messing with the turrets.

I bought a Bushnell AR 223 4.5-18x40 scope for one of my AR15's a couple years ago. The glass is outstanding for a $200 scope,but the tactical style turrets are useless. This scope couldn't track if it had a bloodhound tied to it!
It now resides back in the box it came in,it's a worthless scope to me!

Buy a scope that will serve the purpose that you need it to do,not one that just looks good when looking through it.
Cheap ain't good,and Good ain't cheap!!!
Sorry if my posting the link to an article offended you. Please be aware I didn't write the article, I just put the link for people to consider.

I didn't bother reading your whole rant but if you read this entire thread, everybody is recommending something that out to be scolded by you. EVERY answer to the OP's post are an opinion. I posted my opinion of a scope I own several of because I like them that much. It's up to the PO to take the information and make up his own mind. Frankly you're post here is probably the most biased one in the thread. I'm sure that article was based on some credible criteria so readers will continue to value their opinion/information. Apparently you don't approve of the articles recommendations so you dump on me.

Sorry I offended you.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14602 Times on 7364 Posts
Likes Given: 13852

Some surprises there for me.

Bit I still like Hensoldt and S&B!

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP

Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 673 Times on 415 Posts

To the OP: Any long term manufacturers scope will be fine, the quality of the glass and machining has gotten better due to higher levels of automation and materials science. So anything from Nikon, Leopold, Bushnell, Weaver, etc., will work fine. Since you are a newly you have a lot to learn. Don't get confused by all the bells and whistles out there.

You first need to determine how you intend to use the scope. For hunting a BDC reticle makes sense, for long range target it doesn't. Hunting you can't count on an animal to stay stationary while you check the distance and turn the turrets to adjust the shot. Targets tend to stay where they are.

Things that you need to be concerned with:

Eye relief length, (the distance from the ocular lenses to where it focuses on your eye),how will this fit you and your rifle?

Will the scope interfere with the operation of the action?

How stiff are the adjustments, can you feel the clicks on the turrets? Does the magnification adjust easily?

How do you mount it to your rifle? Will the objective hit your barrel, and would you need to modify the stock to get a good cheek weld?

Are you concerned with how the colors match your rifle?

There are a lot of long articles on the web, and whole books on scopes, and you should probably read a few of them.
People Like This 
Old 07-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffspot View Post
I am building a 308 long range rifle. I have a scope for it, but looking for a little better. What is a good scope at the $500 price point?
Check out rifleopticsworld.com some good information to help you out.