$500 and an about 20x scope - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > $500 and an about 20x scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Simmons got better when Mead Optics picked up the brand about 10 or 15 years ago. Mead makes good glass for telescopes and microscopes. They are not in the Nikon or ziess quality for medical optics but they are good.

You really need to check the Warrantee. A buddy put one on a rifle and went hunting. His partner did the same. Both rifles were in cases behind the seat, both were screwed up on the 1st shot. Simmons says they are not intended to be transported off of standard paved roads.
Scopes were crap and so went the hunt! I do have an older Simmons/ meade that is a tank. But, it is also a 3-9x32mm.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just baught a new Bushnell Banner scope at Bass Pro. I had the choice between a BSA Contender and the 24x Bushnell Banner scope. Both had the same magnification and the BSA had a bit bigger measurement on the objective lens. I liked the Mil-dot set up on the BSA Contender and the big grips and target turrets but I'm an old man at heart and figure why take a chance since BSA burned me once, so I went with the Bushnell Banner. They guy I was talking to at the counter (not the sales person) said he used one and it was a good solid scope. Havent got to test it myself. Its on my WASR-10 but it sure looks good sittin on my desk right now.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the 6-24 Banner on my varint rifle, and I can't complain about it other than I feel the turrets aren't super accurate. When sighting in, one click could move your point of impact .25" and then the next click can seem to move your point of impact 1.00". I haven't tried doing a "box drill" with it to confirm this, but that is just my thought. I'm going to end with a big honking Millet 6-24 on there anyways. The things is gonna look like the Hubble on top of my rifle, but I like their optics and solid build quality.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #24

A good friend of mine has a Vortex knock off. 6-24, illuminated reticle side mounted parrallax adjustment. and all the gee gaws that go with it. He paid a little less than 400 for it at a Tulsa gunshow and had to send it to Houston twice to be repaired. The warranty service was excellent and the glass is bright and clean. He has it on a 300 win mag and it punches small holes with that scope.
Just to say that some of those knock offs arent all that bad. But I guess it is catch as catch can.

To live is Christ. To die is gain.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I mounted a Bushnell 4200 Tactical recently. It is a little over the budget specified, but I wanted to mention scope rings. I have been using the standard $25 rings from the sporting goods store for years and never thought anything about it. They seem to work just fine.

I splurged a little since the scope was kinda pricey and bought some A.R.M.S. lever mount rings. Holy cow were they better than I ever imagined! the construction was superb, and the lever to lock to the rail is rock solid. I am spoiled now, and will have to retrofit my other rifles with them. It is nice being able to remove and reinstall the scope without having to re-zero it.

I don't sell them, but it will be what I use from now on.

Web site

Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I spent $100 and got a 6-24x50 Vortex. I've only shot it once but so far I'm more then happy. The only thing I can complain about is that it gets a little dark past 20-22x.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer