$500 and an about 20x scope - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > $500 and an about 20x scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhill View Post
I cant confirm nor deny it, its just what i was told by our sales rep, i do however know that they have had difficulties financially over the past year or so due to circuit city and ritz as they both filed bankruptcy and owed nikon apppx 40 million.
Really yet Nikon is in the midsts of a rather spendy buy out of Mertis software.

Nikon Metrology - Camio CMM multi-sensor metrology software

Please don't state RUMOR as FACT. Looks like the vendor is a douche bag maybe you should get a new one?

Metris makes the software for all them nifty measuring robots you see on the Science how it is made tv shows. This is a good fit seeing as commercial technology and medical equipment is where Nikon makes most of its money.

$40 million I bet Nikon tosses that much at the R&D department in a few weeks or a month.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #12

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Right, I would think that $40 million would be chump-change for Nikon.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #13

Likes Given: 13

I never stated it as a fact i only said that that is what I was told.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhill View Post
I cant confirm nor deny it, its just what i was told by our sales rep, i do however know that they have had difficulties financially over the past year or so due to circuit city and ritz as they both filed bankruptcy and owed nikon apppx 40 million.
That's the problem with hear-say information. I tend to always check behind things like that. Sometimes people like the sales rep get burned once or twice and they stop carrying them for personal reasons. At least that's the way our local gunshop works.
I know I refuse to buy any Osprey products because of all the defective products I've seen. But the company still tends to do ok from what I've been seeing at gunshows and shops.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I can't see Nikon going anywhere. As optics of any kind go they have been at it a long time and do a pretty good job. I like Bushnell too. I've had horrible luck with Simmons stuff being really cloudy but I have picked up a rifle and a revolver that both come with Simmons stuff on them and they are pretty good. Maybe it was bad luck on my part before or they got better maybe?

I know people that swear by Leupold and I have one on a 22 pistol and it's great. But he couple I've got to use that were on long guns shooting across some long real estate I didn't care much for. If it was me looking for some new glass I'd more than likely look at Nikon or Bushnell. The latter being a personal fav.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Simmons got better when Mead Optics picked up the brand about 10 or 15 years ago. Mead makes good glass for telescopes and microscopes. They are not in the Nikon or ziess quality for medical optics but they are good.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Simmons Deerfield 3-9x30mm scope I was given by my father and its been in the family for about 20 years now and its seals are just now starting to deteriorate and make the scope foggy. When I called Simmons about it they said it was discontinued and said if I mentioned my scope they'd give me 40% off my next scope from them due to the lifetime warrenty on the Deerfield scope. From what I can tell their customer service is really friendly.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #18

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Google WOTAC......check them out. The customer service and no BS lifetime warranty is second to none. Go to snipershide.com for detailed reviews in the Optics forum.

I have two Nikon Prostaff on my AR and remy 700 .223's. Outstanding glass......

However right now I am running a Chinese NC Star budget 6 X 24 X 50 on my new Remy 700 SPS in .308 - I am saving for some premium Tac glass....but, I've tried to kill this scope, and it just won't die.

Now, before the war starts, I'M not recommending that my set up is superior to anyone else's! Just stating some facts. I need time to save up the cash for this build, but right now, I'm doing pretty good with cheap ammo and a $70.00 scope...that's all - just something to think about....

Here is my group @ 100, using Russian steel case doo doo ammo, and the "worst" scope in the world (so say the "guru's") :

Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Here is my group @ 100, using Russian steel case doo doo ammo, and the "worst" scope in the world (so say the "guru's") :
that's pretty good, that's all AK's were made to run originally so if a Remmie is doing that well it just shows how far we've come since 1949.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #20

I have one of the Viper 6.5-20x44's and the thing is excellent. Optics Planet is selling them now for $399. The 50mm model is now $419, and shipping on them is free. Can't beat that. Add that to Vortex's VIP warranty and it is a great deal.