Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > 3x9 40mm leupold scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 3x9 40mm leupold scope

i bought a 3x9 40mm Leupold scope to put on my 98k, i was wondering what is a realistic distance to use this scope for.
such as if i go hunting, at what range will be the max effectiveness of this scope?
and same for range shooting?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

You have a good brand name scope, in a very useful size and power for hunting.

Under MOST circumstances, about 300 yards would be the max range that I feel an ethical deer hunter should be shooting. With anything, with any scope. Are there exceptions? Oh, yeah- but- I feel a personal obligation to Bambi- he may fairly become dinner, but should not be injured and take 3 days to die.

May I suggest the dessert plate test? Go get some of the small paper plates- about 5-6 inches. Those are your targets. The greatest range that you can put 5 out of 5 in those paper plates, using the rifle, the ammo, and THE SHOOTING POSITION you will use while hunting, is your max. That is about the size of the "immediate kill" zone on a deer. Off the benchrest is one thing, standing offhand another.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #3

well thank you, i plan on doing that next weekend