3-9x40 vs 4-12x40 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > 3-9x40 vs 4-12x40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I've been looking at a Bushnell Banner 4X16. Any advice on this scope?
Own two Bushnell banner scopes. One I bought in mid 1960s and another I bought about 4 years ago. Prefer the old Japanese made one. Newer one is a variable to 18 power. I own a fair number of low priced higher power scopes for my target shooting and like my Banner the least. For me, I just dislike the clarity of the optics in my Banner.

I'd buy a BSA Majestic DX Hunter in power range you want. Have three of the 6-24x44 majestics, mounted on .223 to to 308 rifles. Nice optics, a side focus variable, turrets and adjustments are good. Quite a few rounds have been fired with them mounted on my rifles and no problems with any of them to report. Grafs and Sons has the BSA Majestics on sale. Think the 4-16x44 is under $90 dollars. Others sell the scope for around $140.
Yea its a BSA, but one of their newer models and its a pretty decent scope for the price.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2016 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

It looks like we have two different questions from two different posters. To the original poster, I am not fond of very high power variables. I have seen too many people using them for spotting and I dont like anyone looking at me through a rifle scope. My preference would be a 2-7x but the 3x9x40 seems to be the most popular size and the best value. You can buy a better 3-9x scope for the cost of the 4-14x and the 3x will serve you better in close cover. I have seen some nice 2.5-10x but they are pricey.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a Fullfield II 3-9, and a Buckmaster 4-12. They are both very effective scopes. I believe the Burris is a little more forgiving of your eye location. The Nikon seems to take just a half-second longer to get my eye into the sweet spot.

My tired old eyes prefer the higher magnification. I feel like that helps more than the slightly wider field of view of the Fullfield.

I agree with the comments about checking the low light performance, though. I've never used used either in low light, and that can be very telling.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5824 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 5297

For shooting out to 350 yards, a 1.5-6 or a 2-7 is all you'll ever need. If you're too far away to count antler points at 6X, you need to get closer.

Winston Churchill

Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if the quality of the scopes is equal and the price difference is narrow, then personally i would go with the 4-12 over the 3-9 myself. but a quality 3-9 is much better than a lesser quality 4-12. clarity will overcome magnification.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #16

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo View Post
I have a Fullfield II 3-9, and a Buckmaster 4-12. They are both very effective scopes.
I agree with the comments about checking the low light performance, though. I've never used used either in low light, and that can be very telling.
Quote compressed by Delbert

Having a FullfieldII and Buckmaster, both in 3-9x40, I found the FullfieldII to have better light gathering to see in more darker conditions. I tested mine one night AFTER the Sun was down, but Sky still had a glow, and noticed some Neighbor's Angus Cattle on a ridge around 300yds with naked eyes. Went and got both rifles with these scopes mounted. With the Buckmaster I could make out most outlines, but certainly could tell they were Cattle just by their shape. With the FullfieldII, I not only could see the Cattle more clearly, but could make out definite outlines and could count each Cow. Even saw some Cattle laying down, that I hadn't noticed with the Nikon. I'm thinking maybe it was the Len's Coating color difference making the Burris(red lens coating) seem better over the Nikon(blue-green). Haven't tried this test with my other scopes, but would make for good scope len's comparison on a cheap scale.
Del
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5824 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 5297

There's an adage among optics folks.

With a Bushnell, you can tell there's a man on the otrher side of the lake.

With a Leupold, you can tell he's smoking a cigarette.

With a Schmidt & Binder, you can tell what brand of cigarette.

IOW, you get what you pay for.

Winston Churchill