Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > 3-9x40 vs 4-12x40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 3-9x40 vs 4-12x40

I just purchased a used savage 7mm rem mag. I will be ordering a scope for it at the beginning of next month and wanted some opinions on what to get. I have narrowed the brands down to three. Redfield revenge, burris fullfield II, or a nikon prostaff. I understand the difference in the scope sizes I was wondering if I really need to get the higher powered scope. The max distance I will be shooting is 350 yrds. Was hoping someone could tell me if its worth the extra money.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

9x at 350 yards is like 1x at 40 yards.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

what is the price diff?

ask the salesman/woman if they will walk outside with you (with both scopes), and letchu use both to look @ a distant object with.

then, make your choice. you'll see.....quick, fast, and in a hurry what the difference is.

just remember, you get what you pay for. the 3 x 9 might cost more, but you most likely are gettin a better scope. NOT ALWAYS, but most of the time............even if it's just better glass and glass coating(s).

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #4

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I myself prefer 4-12x or larger scopes. My go to hunting rifle is a 4-12x

Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I like the 4x12's to be honest. Though I have some of both.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS
what is the price diff?

ask the salesman/woman if they will walk outside with you (with both scopes), and letchu use both to look @ a distant object with.

then, make your choice. you'll see.....quick, fast, and in a hurry what the difference is.

just remember, you get what you pay for. the 3 x 9 might cost more, but you most likely are gettin a better scope. NOT ALWAYS, but most of the time............even if it's just better glass and glass coating(s).
I have looked through all three and the while they all have different pros and cons they are all pretty equal.

Burris 3-9x40 is 130
Nikon 4-12x40 is 200
Redfield 4-12x40 is 190

Old 10-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Do what you want and not what others want you to do!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I've been looking at a Bushnell Banner 4X16. Any advice on this scope?

Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #8

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For a hunting scope a good 3x9 or 4x12 is a great power-range scope. It mostly depends on which one gives ya better glass and a more robust scope, especially for those Magnum or harder thumping rifles. Virtually any scope made Today gives you a good picture in broad Daylight, BUT it's the BETTER GLASS that gives you the "Brighter/Clearer" picture in Dawn and Dusk/wooded scenerios where most larger game does their feeding near backdrops like dark forested tree lines or edge of open fields where they rely on fast escape routes, and Scope's ability to make out color differences when shadows are involved. The Redfield/Nikon/Burris lineup is very good in their scopes while at a lower cost.
The Burris FullfieldII(Japan/Philippines) models are superb and the scopes W/E adjustments are positive clicks. If you like Nikon, which I also do, try to get the Buckmaster model(Japan) as it's a much better, stouter scope and will hold up better to that 7mm. As to the Redfield, go for the Revolution models as they're also much better made. Lots of folks do like the Prostaff and certainly nothing wrong with them, but for a harder kicking rifle, I would spend that extra $75 to upgrade to a longer lasting, better scope. I own Burris FullfieldII, Nikon Buckmaster, and Redfield Revolution, and Weaver Classic scopes and hunt with my rifles also.
Del

Old 10-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I've been looking at a Bushnell Banner 4X16. Any advice on this scope?
Surprisingly, a good little scope, and a few different models to choose from. However, I wouldn't use it on anything larger than a 223(Bolt action---not AR style). My opinion is it just won't stand up to heavy recoil over time. I have this scope on a little Savage 22LR and it does very well and I do like the Illuminated Recticle for when in heavy woods, Squirrel hunting. I also have a older Banner Dusk/Dawn 6-18x50 on a Target Ruger 10/22 and it does very well, but again not a recoil heavy rifle.
Del

Old 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might want to give a look at the Weaver 40/44 3.8-12X44 scope. Very good optics in it, has an aspherical lens system which was a design based on what was used in 35mm camera lens. Originally used in Simmons AETEC scopes years ago and it had quite a following back then. Have one myself and love it.

Presently, www.natchezss.com has a sale on the Weaver 40/44 aspherical lens scopes they stock. 3.8-12x44 is $140 plus shipping. This scope sells for $180 to $200 elsewhere. Good buy on it. I'd buy another one, but just shoot paper and prefer higher power scopes for my target shooting. Be aware, not all 40/44 scopes have aspherical lens system.