Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > .22 Rifle Scope Query

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default .22 Rifle Scope Query

I had decided to bite the bullet and scope up my M795. I thought I had it down to a 4X Weaver Classic Rimfire Weaver - Classic Rimfire or a Nikon Prostaff 4X Nikon Hunting which ever was cheaper.

Then I heard about Mueller scopes and saw this unit the Mueller 2-7×32 Multi-Shot http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU2732IGR. That looked good but, not being a scope person, I really don't know. Now I seek advice as I am in a quandary.

Also, I heed GOOD rings for the Marlin as well...help please?

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am not going to be much help. As you can't go wrong with any of the three.

It really depends on what you want. Do you want a fixed 4x or do you want a variable 2-7 or 3-9x scope. If it is a hunting gun then I would opt for the simple 4x and look more towards the nikon.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

I put this scope on my sons Winchester 190. Bushnell - .22 Rimfire 4 x 32mm, Matte [762243]
The 4x32 has been great for grey Squirrels at 75 yards.
If you want a VG variable power 40mm, check this out!
Cabela's: Cabela's Caliber-Specific Scopes

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #4

One of the very best scopes for the money for your 22 RF would be the Mueller 4 X 14 X 40 AO APV scope. It's about $130 delivered from many places.

You will have to spend at least twice as much to get better optics. For the price, it's very sharp. Having an AO scope is very imprortant. Non AO scopes for 22's are set at 50 yards for parellex. If shooting at 25 yds, 75 yds or any range but 50yds, your parellex will be off. Unless you set the parellex for the exact distance you are shooting, and you look through the scope at the exact and I mean exact same angle, you shot will be off from where the retical is.
Then you wonder why your groups are not good.

Spend a little more money and get a good scope. You still have the 4X for close up shooting, but the 14 X is great for longer distance and shooting at paper.
The scope is good enough to let me shoot a group just under .1", 5 shots at 50 yds with my accurized Savage BRJ. I know I could not have shot that group with a 4X scope, especially a cheaper one.

Spend the money, you will be glad you did. The shortcomings of a cheap scope become very obvious very quickly, then you are kicking yourself for wasting money. If you decide on a cheaper scope, at least make sure it's an AO scope.

John K

Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 58

What about the Center Point that they sell at Wal-Mart in 4x-16x-40 with the lighted reticle and AO? I was looking at that one recently. I have a 2x-7x-40 on my 12 gauge slug gun and so far am happy with it. The rifle scope is only $70 but I don't know if that is good enough for a rimfire. The other scope I've heard good things about is the BSA Sweet .22 and it has the bullet weight compensator on it. Dick's was putting it on sale every few weeks for $50.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 541

You can go to SWFA and get a BSA Sweet 22 for $50 on close out. 3-9x32 with 3 bullet weight specific turrets for the BDC and it is AO. I have one and the BDC works. I was amazed at how much difference there is in the trajectory from 100yds to 110 yds. The bullet is dropping fast.
If you are interested in fast aquisition more than distance, they have the Konus 2.5x32 shotgun scope for $45. It is parallaxed at 75yds and has a heavy diamond shaped reticle with fine xhairs inside. For fast shooting, get the diamond on the target and you are there. It is also available in 1.5-4x32 for another $20. I have the 2.5 on my 10/22s.
They have quite a few other scopes there as well.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."