Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > 1960's Mannlicher MC-60, 30-06 - milling a side mount plate down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1960's Mannlicher MC-60, 30-06 - milling a side mount plate down

My dad gave me his Mannlicher 30-06. It is a beautiful rifle, made in Austria, and in mint condition. I am thinking of putting a side mount scope on it since I will not drill any holes in the rifle for standard scopes. It came tapped for a rear ring mount, but the front ring used rings that screwed together and was installed under the barrell by taking out the stock. In the 1970 Firearms Almanac they cost $15 to $30. Now they are like $300 a piece from Austria.
The rifle can also take a side mounted scope. Since i refuse to drill any holes in the gun, I was able to purchase a G&H side mount from a great guy in Chicago for a good price. It is a bit too large since it was for another Mannlicher rifle. I need it milled down to fit the rifle. Is this a big deal to get done? G&H wants $100 just to mill down the plate and $160 to mount the side scope and another charge to install a scope and sight it in. Any ideas since I want to maintain the integrity of the rifle. I use it for target shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Your at $260 for the side mount or $300 for the proper mount for the gun. It all depends on how much your willing to spend and what you are going for.

If you want it to look original then go for the $300 barrel ring.

Are you going to put a modern scope on it? If so the side mount may be the way to go. If you want an orginal or period scope then go with the barrel mount. It will look the best and be what sounds to me to be original to the rifle.