1911 Reflex sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > 1911 Reflex sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 Reflex sights

I have a 1991a1 GM and have been considering a reflex sight. It is my daily carry so it would need to be reasonably small and mount on the slide. I have looked at Leupold Delta Point, Trijicon RMR, and Burris Fastfire. Cash is tight enough I shouldn't be spending money to replace perfectly functional iron but you know how that goes.

I've seen some real slick installations inlet into the slide that would permit iron sight backup through the lens but that's for later. I'd also like to try it out on my 336 and 870 to see if that's something I'd want to make permanent.

Does anyone have more than one of these sights on sidearms that could give me their impressions and maybe photos? I looked at the Docter but that's pushing the limit for concealed carry. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6017 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Optics on a ccw piece in my opinion is a very bad idea. Gets hung up on clothing increases bulk and in a true sd situation your prolly not gonna be using the sights very much. Its not like on tv or the movies where the good guy has time to aim. Of course thats just solely my opinion. I personally try to keep fixed very small profile or nonexistant sights on my sd guns.

The original very small nubs of sights on the military issue 1911 like you find on some base model guns are perfect for ccw.

Of course other folks may have a different opinion than myself.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I echo Jon's thoughts on reflex, or any other "large" sights are not a good choice for carry. But then you carry a FS 1911 Government.

The reflex sight is gaining popularity in competitive shooting installed on the autoloader. The technology has followed and many manufacturers have offerings that can withstand up to 1,000 g's! It's still early in this development and the cream has yet to raise to the top.

Keep me in the loop on what you find out and any decision you make.

I have been interested in this subject and in my research (NO experience yet) the Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) caught my attention.

Trijicon RMR™

Lots of options and much more research is needed for me to make a correct choice.

Adjustable LED
3.25 MOA Red Dot
6.5 MOA Red Dot
Dual-Illuminated
13.0 MOA Amber Dot
9.0 MOA Amber Dot
7.0 MOA Amber Dot
12.9 MOA Amber Triangle
LED
3.25 MOA Red Dot
8.0 MOA Red Dot

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The JPoint and Docter seem to be the two that are holding up the best right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #5

Jpoint on a Springfield 1911, about 8yrs ago:

XDMs w/ PFI red dot, few years ago, some ccw use:

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #6

Delta Point on M&P9, three months ago, current ccw:

Mounting and new iron sights were done by Bowie Tactical

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Last edited by ccd8541; 07-22-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: pic showing relocated rear iron sight

Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #7

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

How did the JPoint hold up on the 45? Have you head anything about how the Delta Points are holding up on 45s?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #8

It has been my experience that handguns are no problem for any of the good MRD sights. I have used the Jpoint and PFI on 5.56 and 7.62 rifles w/o issue.

The Delta went straight on the M&P9. If I still carried a 1911 I would not have a worry about mounting it on one.

As I understand it slide velocity is more an issue than what caliber you are shooting.

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #9

Wow CCD, I can see you are a real belt and suspenders kinda guy when it comes to gun sights. Reflex, iron and laser on one gun, fiber and tritium on another. Your tritium Novak sights look lonely all by themselves.

Your Deltapoint installation looks like what I had envisioned eventually. It'll have to wait until I get a smaller CCW and my 1911 becomes a duty holster gun, provided such modifications aren't outright banned wherever I'm working at the time. The quicker ADS and not having to worry about sight alignment would be worth the extra bulk.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #10

On battery life -
I just changed out the battery on the Deltapoint a few days ago. It lasted right at three months. It is difficult to put that into hours because the sight shuts off if it is motionless for five(?) minutes and has an auto sensor that regulates brightness.

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com