15 MOA base

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > 15 MOA base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default 15 MOA base

Is a 15 MOA base a good idea for shooting 100-600 yards?

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Is a 15 MOA base a good idea for shooting 100-600 yards?
Probably be easier and cheaper to get a 20 MOA base. They are very common and it adds GREAT benefit to the overall travel of your scope.

Every bolt rifle I have has a 20 MOA base on them. Just gives you SO MUCH MORE that you can do for longer range shooting without maxing out your dials on your scope.

JD

Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #3

Thanks JD. I got a good 15 MOA base for almost nothing, but I don't completely understand why it works. I read a website that said a zero MOA base is good for 0-500 yards and a 20 is good for 600-1000 yards. But I shoot 100-600 yards. Anyway when I was looking at it I got so confused, the front sits lower than the back, and this seems backwards to me. If the scope is pointing down wont I have to crank the turret way up to get it to shoot 100 yards? See I am confused.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Thanks JD. I got a good 15 MOA base for almost nothing, but I don't completely understand why it works. I read a website that said a zero MOA base is good for 0-500 yards and a 20 is good for 600-1000 yards. But I shoot 100-600 yards. Anyway when I was looking at it I got so confused, the front sits lower than the back, and this seems backwards to me. If the scope is pointing down wont I have to crank the turret way up to get it to shoot 100 yards? See I am confused.
If the scope is pointing down, it forces your muzzle up to bring the cross hairs onto your target.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

It all makes since now that I got everything mounted and zeroed. Heck at 100 yards my turret is almost bottomed out. Sure gives lots of room to adjust up for elevation.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would figure out POI at 300 with your base and then add that in to your scope so it is shooting that much high at 100 yards. Then you don't have to make as much movement as you go out.

Also now you need to make a drop chart for your prefered load. Here is the one I prefer to use. Hornady

Think of it in terms of the bullet as the bullet gets further away from the muzzle it drops as it goes creating the arch we see in ballistics charts. So to get the bullet on target at say 600 yard you have to elevate the muzzle but not the scope. Yes it can be confusing.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-05-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

CPT thanks for the info. I already have the chart for my favorite load, but I have also done charts on every 150-175 grn load made by Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Hornady(just in case there ever is a SHTF, you never know what you will be able to find).

Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

true - a couple of thoughts.

When you are dealing with optics, you have to remember that everything is MIRRORED. Your scope needs to go DOWN angle because your barrel needs to go UP angle. With a flat base, you would top out your scope adjustment unless you had a 65 MOA scope, as you work your way out.

I have suggested this before, but you are getting to the point where I REALLY, SERIOUSLY must suggest you get off the internet and do some real reading by some experts.

Ultimate Sniper by Maj. John Plaster ( retired ) is an invaluable source of real world knowledge and will help you understand several of these types of issues.

I have read it twice, am re-reading it again in my spare time, and I still learn / re-learn new stuff each time through. It made a world of difference in both my knowledge and my training.

Accurizing the Factory Rifle by Macpherson is a great beginner's guide into what makes a rifle shoot and what makes it shoot better. It's a bit dated by this day and age, but the core information is still quite valid and relevant. It's a good read and will give you some more insight into what affects accuracy and how it can be improved.

The problem with all the webforums that you are sourcing for information is that you have to remember the 40% rule of the Internet. Disregard about 15% of the top information and 25% of the low end information - then look you still have to find more than just one or two guys who are saying the same thing for it to even approach crediability.

You've exhausted the basic knowledge portion of Internet Gun Building 101 - now you need to get your hands on some real works, by some people who have set standards, so you can learn the why's to go with all the how's.

JD

Old 05-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #9

Thanks JD. I finish up with school this week, so will then go and find the books you recomended. I do want to know the "whys" that go with the "hows".
Again,,,,thanks.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #10

After trying 3 different book stores and searching the library's computer system, i came up empty handed on finding the books locally, so I just went ahead and ordered them. I guess they should be in next week. Thanks for the advice JD.