1 piece vs 2 mounts
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

1 piece vs 2 mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1 piece vs 2 mounts

Sure this has been covered but looked back through 10 pages and did not find a mention.

I have a new Savage model 11 in 243 on the way and am interested in the goods and bads of the 2 or 1 piece mounts and would like to hear suggestions on manufacturers as well as which is easier to set up etc.
Dove tails, windage screws, etc.

In case some one asks, I already have the scope, 1 inch tube with a 44mm objective. I beleive I will need medium height scope rings if I have read everything correctly. This rifle will be used for hunting probably in the 100 to 250 yard vicinity.

I like the 2 piece purely as it gives more access to the top of the magazine. Other than that I have no preconceived opinions of my own.

Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6784 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

2 piece isnt as sturdy. but thats only important for really heavy recoil guns. 2 piece easier to clean as in getting in the chamber area. easier to load.

1 piece you have better range of eye relief adjustment.

thats all off the top of my head.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

BonesD,

One piece base/ring combo's are probably the strongest, but any of the combinations you mention will work well with your caliber.

Dual dovetail rings are very strong, but can be [U]slightly[U] more difficult to line up. This should not be a problem if you are careful.

Single dovetails w/ rear windage screws allow you to take up some of the siting adjustment in the mounting process so you don't use all of your scopes windage adjustment. (I have never had that happen with any mounts.) Don't use your scope to tork dovetails into alignment. Use a 1" dowel or bar stock.

Weaver style mounts have a cross rail that makes them very strong and some give the option of removing the scope and replacing it without any re-adjustment. The removable rings should work fine at the ranges you are planning unless you are planning head shots on groundhogs at 250 yards. For deer it should be fine.

Theoretically one piece bases should be the strongest, but most Kodiak bear guides that I know (who use scopes) use two piece bases. This may be more for the extra room above the magazine.

I used to have a fobia against one piece bases, but kind of prefer them in most cases now. I just tried a one piece DNZ base/ring combo on my .270, thanks to advice from this forum, and I love them. It was absolutely the simplest, fastest and strongest setup I have ever installed. My bore sighter showed 16" high and 16" left at 100 yards as mounted. Now, off to the range to shoot it!

Clint

Old 10-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

Thanks Clint, I like the idea of more access for loading and cleaning as well. I will probably do the 2 piece more for that reason than any. I understand about using the dowel rod, thanks for the reminder. I still want to be abe to do head shots at 250 yards but heck its for my daughter. Maybe she will let me play with it. after its set up.
Thanks

Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Some of the one piece bases are configured to allow access. Usually not Weaver.