XD's on top of my Short List! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

XD's on top of my Short List!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
XDms are fine guns, but they're big. I have the XDm45. It'd only be a practical carry option in colder weather, though I can't imagine a senario where I'd carry it over the compact. My $700 XDm is really cool, but I have to say my $450 XD compact is more useful...and the two shoot equally well.
In retrospect, I could see where the XDM is a larger pistol for CCW. I chaulked it up to that fact that it was a larger caliber than my XD was but XDM slides are all probably the same size. The XD is probably a good choice, especially in 9mm. I would guess that the slides would be a little narrower. Since the XD and XDM shoot equally well, then I think you're right on target choosing the XD. I liked mine alot.
Blackbeard, I think you should definitely stick to the 9mm since that is what you feel comfortable with. I seen muzzle control concerns were what you emphasized when you stated that you had been sliced and diced and stitched back together. I see people have already started recommending that you step up to the .45acp platform. This happens on every forum that I've read where people mention that they're looking for 9mm recommendations. I suspect you have taken many things into consideration to determine that the 9mm platform is right for you. I also think that there isn't much to be gained in the area of "stopping power" when your 9mm is firing Lawman, SXT or the likes.

Last edited by fixxer; 10-29-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

FOUND IT! The perfect gun, that is! I stopped by my local gun shop on Wednesday afternoon, and he had just received an XDM-9 with a 3.8" Barrel. I tried it for fit and weight, and it was right where I needed it to be!

It's not long like the XDM9 4.5" Barrel, and just a bit shorter than the XD9 4" Barrel. Too boot, it's a 19+1 Mag, as opposed to the XD9's 16+1 Mag. Hey! Those extra three rounds could certainly make a difference some day!

I've been thinking about it the past few days, and did a bit more research on the 3.8. The one I looked at had the Stock 3-Dot Sights. I think I'm going to splurge a little, and order the one that has the Night Sights. Since it's going to be my CCW and my Range Pistol, I may as well do it right the first time out.

I'm heading back over to the gun shop on Monday, to make the purchase. Once I've got it in-hand, I'll take a few pics. I feel like a kid at Christmas! Looks like it's coming early this year.

Some of you may think the 3.8 may be a bit big for a CCW Pistol, but..... consider this..... I'm 6'1" and 250+, wear baggy Cargo Shorts, and Pocket T-'s that go over my waist, all year round. So, I shouldn't have a problem with concealing it. I found an, In-The-Pants Holster, made by "Uncle Mike's", that seems like it'll do the trick for me. I'll wait until I actually buy the gun Monday, before I buy any accessories just yet. Just looking right now.

Thanks to ALL OF YOU, for your feedback and suggestions! They were certainly extremely helpful in making my decision.

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 10-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #13

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718 View Post
FOUND IT! The perfect gun, that is! I stopped by my local gun shop on Wednesday afternoon, and he had just received an XDM-9 with a 3.8" Barrel. I tried it for fit and weight, and it was right where I needed it to be!

It's not long like the XDM9 4.5" Barrel, and just a bit shorter than the XD9 4" Barrel. Too boot, it's a 19+1 Mag, as opposed to the XD9's 16+1 Mag. Hey! Those extra three rounds could certainly make a difference some day!

I've been thinking about it the past few days, and did a bit more research on the 3.8. The one I looked at had the Stock 3-Dot Sights. I think I'm going to splurge a little, and order the one that has the Night Sights. Since it's going to be my CCW and my Range Pistol, I may as well do it right the first time out.

I'm heading back over to the gun shop on Monday, to make the purchase. Once I've got it in-hand, I'll take a few pics. I feel like a kid at Christmas! Looks like it's coming early this year.

Some of you may think the 3.8 may be a bit big for a CCW Pistol, but..... consider this..... I'm 6'1" and 250+, wear baggy Cargo Shorts, and Pocket T-'s that go over my waist, all year round. So, I shouldn't have a problem with concealing it. I found an, In-The-Pants Holster, made by "Uncle Mike's", that seems like it'll do the trick for me. I'll wait until I actually buy the gun Monday, before I buy any accessories just yet. Just looking right now.

Thanks to ALL OF YOU, for your feedback and suggestions! They were certainly extremely helpful in making my decision.

Cheers!

BB
Congrats and best of luck with the new XDm. Now just be sure to post some pics and a range report... Have fun, that's a nice shooter...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Blackbeard...

Don't overlook the XD 45 ACP compact. Comes in a 4" and 5" barrel with a shortened, more concealable grip. Gun comes with both a 10 and 13 round mag. It's a sweet shooter with lots of power and capacity.
Glad you found something you like! I still had to chime in and second the XD45c. I had a XD40 4" that I liked a lot then traded it for the 45 (which seems to be a little more gentle shooter). Being tall and very thin, I've found that the compact grip does conceal a little better. A good holster, like a crossbreed supertuck, will help as well.

Calle

Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718 View Post
FOUND IT!
BB
Naw, I'm with you. I don't think that XDM will be too large. Especially the short barrel version. Congrats. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I ordered it today, and it'll be here next week. Can't wait! I'll get some pics and do a Review as well, when I have it in hand.

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congrats on your choice, BB! I'm a big fan of the XD 9, because there's nothing spectacular about it. It simply suits my needs, my hands, and my idea of what maintainability is all about. Remember that XD stands for "extreme duty", and they did not over-reach with that moniker. 19 rounds means you can load her in January and shoot it through September! I can only shoot until August 26th....

Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Default XD

As many will tell you, the most important aspect of owning any CCW is practice. So it makes sense to me to buy the same gun in a carry version and a range gun. The XD's are inexpensive and excellent pistols. Why not buy a 3" barrel XD, and then get another a size or two bigger? The guns will operate almost identically. I have a Glock 26 and a Glock 17 for this reason. I am considering adding a Springfield 3" XD. I believe the "compact" XDM is just too big and heavy to carry. If you consider that you would pay around $1000 for a Kimber or $900 for an HK, I'd go with two XD's and you're not spending much more.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #19

been carrying a xdsc40 for 2 years now and have picked up a few more now i think im hooked