Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD's on top of my Short List!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default XD's on top of my Short List!

Ahoy!

I've been researching a variety of Handgun Brands, for the past couple of weeks. I'm looking for Reliability, Accuracy, Minimal Recoil, CCW Capable, Large Magazine Capacity, and FUN to shoot at the Range.

I've looked at Ruger, Glock, Bersa, Taurus, S&W, and Springfield Armory. I keep coming back to Springfield Armory, specifically their XD Models. I like what I've read, and also the many videos out there on the web.

As I mentioned above, I want CCW Capability, but then again, I want something I can have FUN with at the Range.

Having narrowed it down to two, I was considering the Sub-Compact XD9 with 3" Barrel and 13+1/16+1 Mags, and the XD9 with the 4" Barrel and 16+1 Mags. I REALLY like the Case and Bonus Items that SA includes in their kits. Not to mention, their current promotion with the 3 Extra Mags and Mag Holder Give-Away.

Having read a lot of posts on this Forum, I've learned that I may not be happy with the 3" Barrel as a Range Pistol. Also mentioned, a 4” Barrel with Standard Grip may be too bulky for a CCW weapon. So, I thought… why not get both? I could use the Sub-Compact XD9 with 3” Barrel and Short Grip as my CCW, and the XD9 with the 4” Barrel and Standard Grip as my Range Pistol.

Thennnnn ….. I went to Academy Sports today! They had a XDM9 with a 4.5” Barrel and 19+1 Mags. I liked the extra Backstraps that are included in the kit too. I tried a hand fit of a XD9 with 4” Barrel with Standard Grip, and also got a handful of the XDM9 as well. Oddly, the XDM felt lighter in the grip, than the XD did, even though the XDM is considered heavier, according to the Specs.

There aren’t any places locally to rent any XD’s, to allow me to get a feel for them at the Range. So, I’m going to have to make the right selection when I purchase, the first time.

FYI, I’m a 54 yo, that had By-Pass Heart Surgery nine years ago. My ribcage has been sliced-n-diced, and re-wired back together. Obviously, I’m trying to find something that has as little recoil as possible. Hopefully, one of these XD’s/XDM’s will fit the bill.

Any inputs from you Handgun Vets out there, would be most appreciated!

This is my First Post, and I plan on doing an Intro in the proper Thread tomorrow! I wanted to put this out there tonight, since I’m planning on buying within the next week or two, and I wanted to get your insight on which XD Model would/wouldn’t be the right choice for me.

Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Blackbeard,
I've had the original XD the first year it came out under the Sprinfield name. As I recall, (and I might be wrong), it took the award for firearm of the year when it came out and then subsequently for a few years after. I had to part with mine several years ago after a bad chain of events (it was almost brand new too) and I can say that it was the only pistol I have parted with that I wish I had back (including the venerable small framed Kimber UCPII, which I hated). I was looking to buy a copy of my XD and then I got to handle my brother in law's XDM. The XDM is a very well handling pistol. It feels better in the hand than my new Glock 19RTF2. The trigger feels great too. I read a lot of articles where people will tell you to buy what you will carry but I feel like it is better for me to carry what I shoot at the range. Just a little extra weight and larger frame will make a drastic difference in the way it handles, how much it will beat you up; in turn, making it more fun to shoot. I personally am between carry pistols right now because I just moved states and I need to get my CCW straight (so I carry a Taser IWB for the time being). When I get my CCW back from Kansas, I will probably carry my G19 until my Springfield 1911 is fully broken in and proven. I have no qualms with carrying a full size pistol (40oz empty!) but I haven't tried since I had my Beretta. I have not shot the 3.5" barrel version but have been told it is surprisingly accurate. Of course "surprisingly accurate" for a 3.5" barrel isn't saying too terribly much at the range since its intended to hit center mass within the personal average defense area. LOL I'm sure the XDM 3.5" will do much better than that. For a combined CCW/range gun, I would prefer the 4.5" barrel that you are referring to. The difference in it's carry size would be noticible but not enough to keep someone from carrying it. The trend I've noticed is that people tend to start leaning towards full frame pistols as the become more confident in carrying. If you read a couple of Masaab Ayoob's articles about what he's carrying (and the commander sized Les Baer 1911 they made to his specs) and you'll start to get warm-fuzzies about that 4.5" barrel length! I still feel like someone's going to spot my printing even though most "good" guys are normally not looking for it. I have seen 1 person do a double take at me when I hurriedly/stupidly bent over to pick up the wallet I dropped as I came untucked accidently. That was with a full frame Beretta 92 (Hey, it's what us squids were tought with back then!). In retrospect, he would have spotted a little PPK under those conditions. I've never bought a pistol from Sportsman's Academy but I would if I could. I live out of state from the Academy so I cannot buy a pistol there. I bought tons of ammo from the one in Amarillo, TX before I moved though. I don't see how you could go wrong with that pistol and thier firearms prices seem to be very fair. Just my $.02.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Blackbeard...

Don't overlook the XD 45 ACP compact. Comes in a 4" and 5" barrel with a shortened, more concealable grip. Gun comes with both a 10 and 13 round mag. It's a sweet shooter with lots of power and capacity.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41808

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
I hurriedly/stupidly bent over to pick up the wallet I dropped as I came untucked accidently. That was with a full frame Beretta 92 (Hey, it's what us squids were tought with back then!).
LOL...Dude you could have been wearing a bear skin and not have concealed that Beretta 92...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'd recommend the XD9 or XD45 in the 4" Compact frame. They're similar in size to a Glock 19/23.

They're small enough to conceal, big enough to work as range/service sidearm, and have very good capacity. I have an XD45 compact and really like it with the standard 10rd mags, but 12rd entended grip mags are available. I believe the 9mm version houses 16rds. The recoil of the 45acp is only moderately stronger than a 9mm IMO, though you may find different.

XDms are fine guns, but they're big. I have the XDm45. It'd only be a practical carry option in colder weather, though I can't imagine a senario where I'd carry it over the compact. My $700 XDm is really cool, but I have to say my $450 XD compact is more useful...and the two shoot equally well.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Get it.........

Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Get it.........

Nice setup. Is that a Cross Breed holster? It looks kinda like one but it is more squared off than I seen on their website... I'd like to have one while I wait for my Milt Sparks to get made.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Nice setup. Is that a Cross Breed holster? It looks kinda like one but it is more squared off than I seen on their website... I'd like to have one while I wait for my Milt Sparks to get made.
A guy here in Arkansas makes these. It's a Theis holster, every bit as good as a supertuck, but a lot less expensive.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A buddy of mine carries a XD .45 compact as his backup weapon when he's working. The standard magazines for that are 10rnd, but also have the 13rnd magazines with the grip extension. the 10rnd mags are small enough that it is concealed. He used to carry his on his ankle, and unless you knew it was there, you couldn't see any bulge or bulky-ness around the ankle area. the small magazines are also comfortable enough for someone with big hands like myself.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #10

Blackbeard....

PM Sent. :-)