XDs sub compact
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDs sub compact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default XDs sub compact

Hey guys - I'm trying to think through all of my options for a good carry gun. I'm in between the nano, shield and the XDs.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the XDs and wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Oh

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts

I I've not shot it either. I have heard good and bad things but I will leave that to somebody with first hand experience. What it would come down to me is the caliber vs capacity vs size argument. I do know that the shield is a fantastic gun with great reviews (I have only shot the 9).

Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

XDS! I don't like the NANO feel, the shield is almost impossible to get for a reasonable price right now and the XDS can be found plus it's a .45. Real nice gun IMO.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My wife just bought me the XDS last night....I cant remember the last time I was this excited. Havent shot it yet though....

Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_B
My wife just bought me the XDS last night....I cant remember the last time I was this excited. Havent shot it yet though....
Make sure you share some pics and a range report.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That's awesome! I look forward to hearing what you think about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_B View Post

Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I kinda had the same feeling about the nano. And I've found a few used shields but I'm not sure if I'm interested in going that route.

Is the .45 too much for such a small gun? I'm a huge fan of the fact that it's a .45 but I'm afraid it's gonna fly out of my hand if I can't get a good grip

Thanks for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
XDS! I don't like the NANO feel, the shield is almost impossible to get for a reasonable price right now and the XDS can be found plus it's a .45. Real nice gun IMO.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #8

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The recoil is very manageable on the XDS. Check out some of the youtube videos.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I vote XDS. Some things to understand about this pistol though. In order to produce a pistol in a large caliber, and make it as small as possible, the spring rates in such as small slide are critical. I've put hundreds of rounds through my XDS, and a few others I've shot. Here's some tips:

1) Always load a round into the chamber by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine, then using the slide lock to release the slide. This will chamber the round properly, and eliminate the risk of unintentionally riding the slide forward and failing to completely chamber the round.

2) In your sight picture, use a "Combat" style hold on your target. Not a 6 O'clock hold. It tends to print low if you don't shoot this way. However, it does print nice groups for such a short barreled pistol!

3) Use a firm grip using isometric type pressure on the front strap. This will keep you from having any "limp wrist" malfunctions, and make for an even more controllable shooting experience with this pistol.

My XDS runs flawlessly and accurately using these methods. Everyone I've trained this way has had a similar experience. This pistol disappears when carrying concealed. I also run a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights with the Orange front on mine. Can't say enough good about these sights.

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tips! I'm sold. Now I just need to find one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpdsniper View Post
I vote XDS. Some things to understand about this pistol though. In order to produce a pistol in a large caliber, and make it as small as possible, the spring rates in such as small slide are critical. I've put hundreds of rounds through my XDS, and a few others I've shot. Here's some tips:

1) Always load a round into the chamber by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine, then using the slide lock to release the slide. This will chamber the round properly, and eliminate the risk of unintentionally riding the slide forward and failing to completely chamber the round.

2) In your sight picture, use a "Combat" style hold on your target. Not a 6 O'clock hold. It tends to print low if you don't shoot this way. However, it does print nice groups for such a short barreled pistol!

3) Use a firm grip using isometric type pressure on the front strap. This will keep you from having any "limp wrist" malfunctions, and make for an even more controllable shooting experience with this pistol.

My XDS runs flawlessly and accurately using these methods. Everyone I've trained this way has had a similar experience. This pistol disappears when carrying concealed. I also run a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights with the Orange front on mine. Can't say enough good about these sights.