Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XDs sub compact (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xds-sub-compact-77861/)

gunownerz 12-06-2012 01:49 PM

XDs sub compact

Hey guys - I'm trying to think through all of my options for a good carry gun. I'm in between the nano, shield and the XDs.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the XDs and wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Oh

magnumman 12-06-2012 01:51 PM

I I've not shot it either. I have heard good and bad things but I will leave that to somebody with first hand experience. What it would come down to me is the caliber vs capacity vs size argument. I do know that the shield is a fantastic gun with great reviews (I have only shot the 9).

silverado113 12-06-2012 02:08 PM

XDS! I don't like the NANO feel, the shield is almost impossible to get for a reasonable price right now and the XDS can be found plus it's a .45. Real nice gun IMO.

The_Big_B 12-06-2012 02:13 PM

My wife just bought me the XDS last night....I cant remember the last time I was this excited. Havent shot it yet though....

magnumman 12-06-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Big_B
My wife just bought me the XDS last night....I cant remember the last time I was this excited. Havent shot it yet though....

Make sure you share some pics and a range report.

gunownerz 12-06-2012 02:44 PM

That's awesome! I look forward to hearing what you think about it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Big_B (Post 1041279)

gunownerz 12-06-2012 02:46 PM

I kinda had the same feeling about the nano. And I've found a few used shields but I'm not sure if I'm interested in going that route.

Is the .45 too much for such a small gun? I'm a huge fan of the fact that it's a .45 but I'm afraid it's gonna fly out of my hand if I can't get a good grip :)

Thanks for your feedback

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113 (Post 1041273)
XDS! I don't like the NANO feel, the shield is almost impossible to get for a reasonable price right now and the XDS can be found plus it's a .45. Real nice gun IMO.

silverado113 12-06-2012 02:50 PM

The recoil is very manageable on the XDS. Check out some of the youtube videos.

fpdsniper 12-06-2012 08:05 PM

I vote XDS. Some things to understand about this pistol though. In order to produce a pistol in a large caliber, and make it as small as possible, the spring rates in such as small slide are critical. I've put hundreds of rounds through my XDS, and a few others I've shot. Here's some tips:

1) Always load a round into the chamber by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine, then using the slide lock to release the slide. This will chamber the round properly, and eliminate the risk of unintentionally riding the slide forward and failing to completely chamber the round.

2) In your sight picture, use a "Combat" style hold on your target. Not a 6 O'clock hold. It tends to print low if you don't shoot this way. However, it does print nice groups for such a short barreled pistol!

3) Use a firm grip using isometric type pressure on the front strap. This will keep you from having any "limp wrist" malfunctions, and make for an even more controllable shooting experience with this pistol.

My XDS runs flawlessly and accurately using these methods. Everyone I've trained this way has had a similar experience. This pistol disappears when carrying concealed. I also run a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights with the Orange front on mine. Can't say enough good about these sights.

gunownerz 12-06-2012 10:16 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm sold. Now I just need to find one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpdsniper (Post 1041869)
I vote XDS. Some things to understand about this pistol though. In order to produce a pistol in a large caliber, and make it as small as possible, the spring rates in such as small slide are critical. I've put hundreds of rounds through my XDS, and a few others I've shot. Here's some tips:

1) Always load a round into the chamber by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine, then using the slide lock to release the slide. This will chamber the round properly, and eliminate the risk of unintentionally riding the slide forward and failing to completely chamber the round.

2) In your sight picture, use a "Combat" style hold on your target. Not a 6 O'clock hold. It tends to print low if you don't shoot this way. However, it does print nice groups for such a short barreled pistol!

3) Use a firm grip using isometric type pressure on the front strap. This will keep you from having any "limp wrist" malfunctions, and make for an even more controllable shooting experience with this pistol.

My XDS runs flawlessly and accurately using these methods. Everyone I've trained this way has had a similar experience. This pistol disappears when carrying concealed. I also run a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights with the Orange front on mine. Can't say enough good about these sights.