xds recall - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > xds recall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default xds recall

Mine is being recalled. I need some help and I've a couple of questions, I've never had to send a firearm back before and I haven't a clue as how to pack it, what is the best way?Cardboard box, cheap pistol case? Also I read on Fedex's website that they won't ship an intact firearm and want either the bbl or the firing pin removed,Springfield on the other hand is telling me to just remove the mag and send the handgun in, what does everyone do field strip the pistol and then pack the pieces and send it to springfield? My closest "staffed" fedex is about 80 miles away so I would like to get this right so I don't have any surprises when I get there. I would be thankful for any guidance I can get on this.Ron...

Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Mine is on the list also, going to wait and see what the turn around time is.
Until then will chamber a round outside before carry.
Springfield is a great company, but this is still not cool.
Wish they would send the parts. And I would have my gunsmith install them.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12301 View Post
Mine is being recalled. I need some help and I've a couple of questions, I've never had to send a firearm back before and I haven't a clue as how to pack it, what is the best way?Cardboard box, cheap pistol case? Also I read on Fedex's website that they won't ship an intact firearm and want either the bbl or the firing pin removed,Springfield on the other hand is telling me to just remove the mag and send the handgun in, what does everyone do field strip the pistol and then pack the pieces and send it to springfield? My closest "staffed" fedex is about 80 miles away so I would like to get this right so I don't have any surprises when I get there. I would be thankful for any guidance I can get on this.Ron...
You can also use UPS. You don't need to disassemble the pistol. Just remove the magazine.

When I've had to send my guns to gunsmiths I just lock my slide to the rear.

Just put it in the case it came with and put that inside a FedEx flatrate box. Stuff the box with something like newspaper so the pistol case doesn't move around and is padded.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks JW,I thought maybe emptying the case my handgun came in and using that would be the way to go but I wanted to be sure.Thanks also for the packing and mailing tips. I believe I am going to wait a bit until I can talk to someone at springfield to verify just exactly what address to use and how to label the pkg if I use UPS instead of fedex. UPS is a whole lot better for me as I can do that locally. I may have to pay one way shipping but that is better than a 160 mile round trip and $50 worth of gas.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Thanks JW,I thought maybe emptying the case my handgun came in and using that would be the way to go but I wanted to be sure.Thanks also for the packing and mailing tips. I believe I am going to wait a bit until I can talk to someone at springfield to verify just exactly what address to use and how to label the pkg if I use UPS instead of fedex. UPS is a whole lot better for me as I can do that locally. I may have to pay one way shipping but that is better than a 160 mile round trip and $50 worth of gas.
UPS will tell you this but you will need to ship it priority overnight, I believe.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 147 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
If you follow the recall link it will take to the FedEx link, at which point a prepaid shipping label with Springfield's address will be emailed to you. I'm also fairly certain you can request that it be picked up from your house.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Otis, thanks, maybe the thing to do is give fed x a call and see if they will pick it up. I have the email with the prepaid label link attached but I haven't printed it yet. Anyway Springfield's website says it has to be dropped off at a staffed facility which if that's my only option is a royal PITA for me. I talked to a UPS driver when he delivered a pkg. to me today and I can ship locally with them which is probably what I am going to do if I can't get a fed x pick up. Thanks again for the suggestion and the help. I don't like to say it but this makes me wish I hadn't bought this handgun. I absolutely hate this kind of thing.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 147 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
I don't like to say it but this makes me wish I hadn't bought this handgun. I absolutely hate this kind of thing.
I agree, can't stand hassles, and hassles involving firearms are even more of a nuisance. I would typically be more angry, but if I didn't have the XDs I would have a Shield, which also just had a recall.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #19

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I wouldn't give up on my XDS if I owned one.

I've been looking for a new CCW,the two I am looking at are the XDS and the Sig 938 for pocket carry.

This recall won't sway my decision between the two pistols,although the Sig 938 is quite a bit smaller than the XDS platform.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #20

Looks like both my 9mm and my .45 are going in.