XD's...to buy or not to buy...and which? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

XD's...to buy or not to buy...and which?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Already know I'm going to have to replace that plastic holster and mag clip. Debating nylon or leather.
I have the XD45 with the 5 inch "tactical/geezer" barrel, in a lovely shade of OD green. I have been very, very happy with it. It has yet to jam or misfire in any way. I do not concealed carry, so i can't comment on that aspect. I do carry in the car and feel much more comfy with my surroundings having the XD with 26 rounds on deck.

DO NOT USE the plastic loop/holster without checking the surfaces for sand & such first; a buddy with an XD9 4" got a nasty lil scratch on his barrel that way, first day.

His XD9 seems to have about the same grip as my XD45, though his does have the 4" barrel and a different-looking guide rod. His is less expensive to feed, but i think mine is more fun to shoot.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Ok y'all, I went and picked up my wife's shotgun from my local shop today and was asking about pistols. I was thinking of a 9mm then he pulled a XD40 out and had to have it. Wife isn't real happy about it, or it could have been I bought a 10/22 as well.

This is my first pistol was told it will be a good training gun. My question to you is off the shelf ammo which is best, also is there a specific oil that needs to be used or rem oil sufficient enough?

Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #23

All xds are GREAT guns. I have a xdm 40 and couldn't be happier. Springfields are tough so you dont have to pamper them and have a specific oil out ammo.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #24

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

No special oils, anything you have should be dandy... I like to use winchester white box or federal ammo, both from walmart. Congrats!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you for the input. I'm hoping I can pick up my XD tomorrow afternoon.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #26
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Rem 45 ACP 230 gr hard ball 250 rnd mega pak is $96 + tax at Walmart. 9mm was $56. I did not check 40S&W.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Okay. I've made my decision to get the Buick (Hi-Point) off my back, and switch to an XD .45 caliber to replace it with.
Probably. What is delaying this? .45 Ammo isn't exactly cheap. This means I've only a few possibilities to resolve this.
At basically a dollar a round, it's not exactly a gun I want to go shoot a box of 50 rounds through regularly, and I do like to shoot my CC to stay on top of it.
I do NOT want to buy three or four. So...pro's and con's of the XD .40 vs. .45? I'll even consider the 9. Do they all feel the same in your hand? I've found a .40 to test, (4" Barrel, which is what I want) and the grip and action is smooth and really nice.
How similar is it to the others?
I am simply trying to figure out which way to go. (I'll need one with the extended 13 round mag. I stand six six with an 8.5 inch hand span, so the tactical with the short mag feels odd, although I can use it. The 13 feels great.)
A dollar a round? I buy WWB at Walmart for $31.99 for a box of 100 rounds FMJ. The XDM series comes with three backstraps. I have the XDM-45 and use the smallest (#1), as the grip is pretty big. The grips in general are better on the XDM, I think. Other XDM features--match grade barrel, polished feed ramp, and a generally sleeker appearance (subjective, of course), are reasons to pay a bit more for the XDM than the XD. XDM's are available in 3.8, 4.5, and 5.25 inch barrels.

Caliber? Being a Texas boy, I'm partial to the .45, so I suck it up at Wally World and buy six boxes of 31.99/100 WWB at a time and then just try not to think about it. The XDM-9 has had rave reviews, especially in the 5.25 barrel.