Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD's...to buy or not to buy...and which?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default XD's...to buy or not to buy...and which?

Okay. I've made my decision to get the Buick (Hi-Point) off my back, and switch to an XD .45 caliber to replace it with.
Probably. What is delaying this? .45 Ammo isn't exactly cheap. This means I've only a few possibilities to resolve this.
At basically a dollar a round, it's not exactly a gun I want to go shoot a box of 50 rounds through regularly, and I do like to shoot my CC to stay on top of it.
I do NOT want to buy three or four. I am planning on assembling an AR soon, but had to put it on the back burner to get my primary replaced.
So...pro's and con's of the XD .40 vs. .45? I'll even consider the 9. Do they all feel the same in your hand? I've found a .40 to test, (4" Barrel, which is what I want) and the grip and action is smooth and really nice.
How similar is it to the others?
I've tried to find a .22 version of it, so I could have a cheap to shoot plinker to practice with at the range, but no such animal exists.
I am simply trying to figure out which way to go. (I'll need one with the extended 13 round mag. I stand six six with an 8.5 inch hand span, so the tactical with the short mag feels odd, although I can use it. The 13 feels great.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

This is kind of personal preference.. I have all three calibers of the XM XDM 9mm .40 sc and a .45 tactial XD I also have the same three calibers in glock and prefer my XD's over them every day of the week but thats a different debate.
If price is your main reason then I would go in the middle with the .40 cal. Plenty of stopping power and also its not going to break the bank to shoot.

Where did you come up with a buck a round to shoot 45 though? You can get winchester white box at walmart for I think $32 per 100 round pack. Thats .32 a shot . You can get cheaper if you go steel cased or watch for sales.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
This is kind of personal preference.. I have all three calibers of the XM XDM 9mm .40 sc and a .45 tactial XD I also have the same three calibers in glock and prefer my XD's over them every day of the week but thats a different debate.
If price is your main reason then I would go in the middle with the .40 cal. Plenty of stopping power and also its not going to break the bank to shoot.

Where did you come up with a buck a round to shoot 45 though? You can get winchester white box at walmart for I think $32 per 100 round pack. Thats .32 a shot . You can get cheaper if you go steel cased or watch for sales.
Okay. Someone get a fire truck to put out the flames. My personal opinion? Glocks suck. I just can't stand the feel, the safeties aren't up to what I want in a firearm, and I just don't feel good holding them.
100 rounds for $32 at Wally world? Then my decision may be made. I just am not a big fan of the 9mm. To me it's insufficient. I think a lot of it has to do with my size. I like to feel the kick.
So...looks like it will be the .45 XD. I've watched several video's on it, read multiple reviews. What is your personal opinion of it's reliability, ktm?
Remember, I am quite happy with how it feels in my hand, and, much as I like the 1911's, I carry a Hi-Point already. I'm trying to get rid of the cinderblock on my hip, not replace it.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

You're paying how much for .45 ammo?!? That can't be right...can it?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
You're paying how much for .45 ammo?!? That can't be right...can it?
Evidently the sight I was on had a MAJOR typographical error on it. They had a box of 20 rounds for about $20.00, which really had me backing up. (Hadn't priced the ammo, as I was still debating the guns. Then priced the ammo and...well, I should have checked more than one site!!)

Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

go xdm.

ive got a xdm 4.5 in 45acp my wife has a xdm 4.5 in 9mm. if i couldnt have a 45acp i would definately go 9mm. the xdm 9mm holds 19+1 in factory mags. until november buy a xd or xdm you get 3 free mags and 1 free mag holder bringing the total to 5 mags and 2 holders.

my opinion: 40sw is pretty much the same as a 9mm but less capacity and more recoil.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 109

we have two XDm Compact 9's. Don't think they are yet available in the .45

Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
we have two XDm Compact 9's. Don't think they are yet available in the .45
They aren't. That is why I decided XD.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

I like this website to compare online ammo deals...
AmmoEngine: .45 ACP, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

On the link, only 25 cents per round for steelcase at CheaperthanDirt. I can vouch for Walmart too having box of 100 for $32. You can also get good deals at gunshows and if you keep your eye out for sales, Bass Pro, Cabela's, MidwayUSA and many more places often run ammo sales.

I know you watched my video review on the other thread. The XD is a terrific handgun design and 45 ACP is #1.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
I like this website to compare online ammo deals...
AmmoEngine: .45 ACP, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

On the link, only 25 cents per round for steelcase at CheaperthanDirt. I can vouch for Walmart too having box of 100 for $32. You can also get good deals at gunshows and if you keep your eye out for sales, Bass Pro, Cabela's, MidwayUSA and many more places often run ammo sales.

I know you watched my video review on the other thread. The XD is a terrific handgun design and 45 ACP is #1.
Your video review is WHY I went to the gun shop today to hold the XD .45. They only had a .40, but said that there is no difference in the grips between the two.
I really was impressed with the trigger action, and the feel of it in my hand.
When I buy a pistol, one of my biggest criteria is, do I want to set it down? If I like the feel, and want to keep it in my hand, then I know I have what I want, and the XD .45 fit that criteria.
But, like I said, your review was one of two I watched on it. And it was a key factor in making me decide to forget about saving for another 1911, which costs nearly double.
The safety's are laid out perfectly. A combination set up that makes it really hard to misfire, (no Glock Leg) but so natural that, in a crisis situation, you don't have to worry about 'forgetting' to turn the safety off.