Xds
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Xds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Xds

My grandpa just bought an xds 45--he man is going on 80 and still loves his 45s. Before taking it to the range we clean it, etc.

Today at the range the first 30 shots we had a few problems. The slide did not lock back at all. Now I've read some people hit the slide release, which may have been the problem but I wasn't paying attention. The other is that about 2 rounds I had misfires. The round was struck but nothing. The ammo was Winchester white box.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. The next 30 rounds were fine. But if we got a lemon I want to fix it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

Liked 1309 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin View Post
My grandpa just bought an xds 45--he man is going on 80 and still loves his 45s. Before taking it to the range we clean it, etc.

Today at the range the first 30 shots we had a few problems. The slide did not lock back at all. Now I've read some people hit the slide release, which may have been the problem but I wasn't paying attention. The other is that about 2 rounds I had misfires. The round was struck but nothing. The ammo was Winchester white box.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. The next 30 rounds were fine. But if we got a lemon I want to fix it.

I do not think you have a lemon, WWB ammo is decent range ammo, not trust your life and family ammo. I suspect the no fire is the ammo, not the gun.

Slide not locking could be finger position related, could be magazine related. Does the slide lock back when you rack it by hand and the mag is empty?

Did the gun come with multiple mags? Do all fail to lock back after the last round?

Was the pistol purchased at a servicing dealer? If yes, get their input.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 293 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Where the misfires the first round in a magazine? Several people have indicated that when they racked the slide to load a round that they had misfires, likely from riding the slide a little before releasing. If it was the first round, try using the slide release. If no problem, it might be from riding the slide forward a little before letting go.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #4

Liked 1149 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 2040

Keep shooting it and let everything get seated in good. If it does it at 200 rds then get ready to send it in .Did u lube it before putting it back together and what did u use to lube it with ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Yeah I used Remington oil and lubed it up. I think for the slide locking it might just be my thumb hitting the slide lock / release. If the magazine is in and empty and I pull the slide back it locks every time.

I guess the big concern is the 2 misfires. I just don't want it striking and my grandpa pull it out too soon when I'm not there. Next range trip I pay more attention to it if its my thumb hitting the release and by some different ammo and see if that makes a difference. Like I said the first 30 I had some trouble with but that last 30 to 40 that I shot were fine.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo
Where the misfires the first round in a magazine? Several people have indicated that when they racked the slide to load a round that they had misfires, likely from riding the slide a little before releasing. If it was the first round, try using the slide release. If no problem, it might be from riding the slide forward a little before letting go.
No they were like 3 or 4 shots in. After waiting awhile I fed both of the rounds through again and it fired no problem.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Liked 1149 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 2040

Remoil pretty much sucks . Get a qt of mobile 1 synthetic engine oil 30 wt . We use it on everything . Best lubricant out there for firearms.
AR 15 , 8000+ rds fired thru it and never cleaned , just lubed with Mobil 1 . Zero issues

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That is good to have a hobbie i have been traching conceal carry for awhile it is attracting older people which is good they need to protect themselves too

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had some that were slightly out of battery when mine was new. so close but no cigar. gave me a very weak primer hit, not enough to detonate. the first thought was mal function due to striker. when I realized the issue the next step was to polish the feed ramp and run the dremel into the chamber a little. between that and a few more break in rounds the problem went the way of the dinosaur. make sure also the wrist and grip are good. this little girl hates a sloppy hold. don't give up on her she is a very reliable and accurate pistol. fun too! just wish 45ACP was cheaper to load and or purchase. between the XDS, XD tactical, SR45, Kimber STS and SR1911CMD I am burning up a lot of ammo. God bless America!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3432 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1730

nsin,

I agree with the others as far as the slide not locking back could be caused by several reasons.
1. Due to the recoil of the XDS in 45 ACP if any of the support hand thumb or fingers are by the slide release it may be depressed when the slide goes back on the last round.
2. A faulty magazine. If it is doing it with both magazines this is highly unlikely!
3. And finally Ammunition. Due to the fact the XDS is a compact and chambered for 45 ACP it has a fairly strong spring. Weak ammunition will cause the slide to not go back all the way which also causes malfunctions of the weapon. By the round getting stuck in the chamber you are in all probability dealing as one mentioned with an ammunition problem.
4. Be sure the weapon is lubricated properly especially on the slide. A dry gun can cause issues also.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Newest Threads