Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XDM - Shooting left (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xdm-shooting-left-56591/)

Gonzilla 01-29-2012 10:11 PM

XDM - Shooting left

Lawman ammo from sandbag rest @ 50 ft. Elevation was on but group was definitely left. Read an thread where someone else had the same problem.

Yes, I've read the handy sight picture circle and I don't think it's too little trigger finger pushing site platform left.

Have heard horrible reviews on how hard it is to move or replace sights. Any suggestions beyond aiming right ? Yes, I'll try some other brands of ammo before I get out the mallet & brass punch.

fins59 01-29-2012 10:55 PM

With my XD I'm still shooting left. I've managed to correct the low shooting problem I was having. But not the left. At this point even if it is me shooting left, I'm doing it consistent, and it's my gun so I'm probably gonna have it corrected.

rigjumpr 01-29-2012 11:44 PM

try @ 25 or even closer and reevaluate. other than too little trigger finger, some things to consider, what about sight picture and trigger control?
i did mintion that
Quote:

Elevation was on but group was definitely left
without being there not seeing the target this is all i can come up with. good luck

utf59 01-30-2012 01:57 AM

The only things I can add are to try a Ransom Rest if you have access to one, or to let one or more friends shoot it and see if everyone is shooting left.

partdeux 01-30-2012 04:14 PM

Very common problem...
90% of the time, it's a combo of your grip and the trigger. 10%of the time, the sight is off. It's been discussed at length in the XD forum.

What was suggested to me was to wrap the handle deep into the hand, and it helped... but I found my sight was off slightly too :)

Gonzilla 01-30-2012 05:08 PM

Thanks to all.

I try to keep my hand hold the same but I certainly can try something different - easier than moving the sight...

W/0 ranson rest, the age old is it me or the gun ? I should probably just have SA install adj. sights but w just be recreating the 5.25 - poorly for $160.

partdeux 01-30-2012 11:40 PM

Try rolling your thumb further to the left (if right handed). It's unorthodox, but it works.

Gonzilla 01-31-2012 03:16 AM

Wow, learn something new every day ! I've never heard that one but are you referring to a one hand hold ? I grew up on the 1911 and still shoot w thumbs stacked one on top of another and both pointed toward the target.

partdeux 01-31-2012 04:30 PM

One or two handed, put the grip deeper into the web on the XD.

Belltactical 01-31-2012 04:39 PM

I have to agree with the 90/10 post.
I took one in complaining that it shoots left. Needed to know how much before I break out a sight pusher and it shot dead on at 25 on a bag. Had another guy from the shop shoot a bit and it was still dead on.

Tough conversation with the customer but at least we did give him a free tear down/cleaning.