XDM Problem

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDM Problem

Took my new XDM40 to the range, using Federal target ammo it jammed every other shell,it would not load into the pipe?

Tried protection ammo and had no problems. Anyone else had this problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

welcome to the FTF community Trigem. Stop into the introductions thread and introduce yourself to the forum.

As far as the Xdm, I have over 2K rounds through mine and no failures yet and have used wolf and all sorts of cheap brass and it chews it up flawlessly.

Is this your first firearm? Was gonna suggest maybe limp wristing it ? but if you have no problems with PD ammo than I would try another brand of target ammo and see how it goes.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Try another brand of ammo (even though it shouldn't matter) and also start by loading only 12-14 rounds in the magazine. (I'm assuming it came with 16 rounders as you described it as XDM). Their mags are a very tight fit for capacity until you wear them it a little. If this doesn't work take it back, or send it in as this is almost unheard of for this gun.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #4

I have had the XDm 40 for almost a week now, and have put 200 rounds with only one FTL. This was most likely shooter error, as I haven't had any other issues with it since, and have been running the same ammo (Independence .40 caliber, 165 grain, it may be 185, but am not 100% sure on the grain). A buddy of mine has the XD45 and said that he has had problems with hollow point ammo feeding. I plan on taking it out to the range this week or next with him and putting some of his leftover hollow point (in 40 cal) ammo through my XDm. I have not heard any negatives about the XDm, nor have I had any with mine, so I would most likely say that it is a problem the gun has with the ammo, it is kind of a bummer that such a nice gun would have issues with a particular ammo type or brand. Enjoy the hardware...

Springfield Armory XDm .40 Cal

Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum! Please discribe the probelm a little more for us. Is the next round not going into the chamber? Is the spent round ejectiong properly?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Sounds ammo related. May I suggest checking the lot number and contacting Federal. It could be a bad batch, it's been know to happen. Had some Speer Gold Dots replaced a few years a go due to a recall.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You should always gauge your ammo.

I've gotten over-sized cartridges from a few different makers, other than that it shouldn't matter what you feed an XD.

Mine has eaten everything I've fed it for almost a solid year with out any sort of malfunction. The last little test run I did with it was 800+/- rounds in the span of several different range sessions across 5-6 weeks with out a cleaning. Using ammo form several different makiers. Brass and aluminum. Didn't even seem too dirty when I finally broke it down.

Think I'll go for 1,500 next.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #8

The XD and XDM chamber has what I'll call "tight tolerances", compared to some other manufacturers. A have had a load worked up for years, with a heavy crimp, that feeds flawlessly in a Taurus 24/7 Pro. They will not chamber in the XDM.

We compared and measured chambers, of various makes, at the range last summer to find the XD / XDM was the tightest of them all. Interesting, eh?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Bone View Post
We compared and measured chambers, of various makes, at the range last summer to find the XD / XDM was the tightest of them all. Interesting, eh?
Really!? Do you still have available the readings from that study? What method was used to "measure" the chambers?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #10

Default Here's my Experience:

Sorry to hear about the issues. Sounds like you may the same problem I HAD with Federal ammo. My issue was with the Federal Personal Protection 230g JHP. I switched to Speer Gold Dot 230g JHP and new AGP mag springs and just put a bunch of rounds through the gun without ONE problem.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/looking-some-help-xd-45-service-ftfd-22606/

I think the big kicker was the new springs.

Here's where I got the springs from (sorry to the mod's if I'm not supposed to be posting links to sites like this...):

AGP Arms, Inc. :: Saiga :: AGP Arms Saiga-12 10 Round Magazine Spring

Good luck.