XDm Misfires
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDm Misfires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDm Misfires

Have an XDm .45, 5.25.
It shoots like a dream, is very accurate, and fits me ergonomically well.
However, I have run into a recurring problem in 2 of the last 3 range sessions.
Using Federal 230 gr FMJs purchased @ Wally, I have had numerous failure to fires.
Sometimes every other round, rarely consecutive rounds.
I have lubricated thoroughly, and clean it after every use without fail.
I took it to my local gunnie, explained the problem, and brought along 10 FTF rounds for him to try.
The rounds showed a light primer strike. Wouldn't you know it, all 10 fired consecutively into his can!
I have no ideas, except for the ammo. I ran a box of WWB thru w/ no miscues.
Any ideas out there? I'd greatly appreciate any input. THX!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Slide prolly has shipping grease or gunk in the firing pin channel. Happens with all guns from time to time. Hit the firing pin channel with some gunscrubber real good let it dry for an hour then put one drop of clp or your gun oil of choice in there.

Should clear it up. If it doesnt it will need to be taken apart and cleaned

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockenstein View Post
Have an XDm .45, 5.25.
It shoots like a dream, is very accurate, and fits me ergonomically well.
However, I have run into a recurring problem in 2 of the last 3 range sessions.
Using Federal 230 gr FMJs purchased @ Wally, I have had numerous failure to fires.
Sometimes every other round, rarely consecutive rounds.
I have lubricated thoroughly, and clean it after every use without fail.
I took it to my local gunnie, explained the problem, and brought along 10 FTF rounds for him to try.
The rounds showed a light primer strike. Wouldn't you know it, all 10 fired consecutively into his can!
I have no ideas, except for the ammo. I ran a box of WWB thru w/ no miscues.
Any ideas out there? I'd greatly appreciate any input. THX!
If you've been lubricating the striker channel at all, that probably is the source of your problem, assuming the ammo isn't the culprit.

Conventional wisdom from all that I've read about the XD is that you do not lubricate the striker at all.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

You arent supposed to lube springs for the most part. They get enough from normal lubing of the gun migrating into the springs. But if you strip off the grease and oil it needs a little to prevent corrosion.

With springs after they have been stripped of oils i lube them then wipe with a cloth or patch. You dont want them dripping just enough to prevent corrosion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would agree with JonM that any part cleaned with solvent should be re-lubricated with a light coat of oil.

What I was trying to discourage was the placement of oil in the striker channel as a normal course of field stripping maintenance.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm by no means a gunsmith, but there are a couple of other things you could look at which would help a real gunsmith figure this out for you.

Compare the primer strikes of the rounds that fired vs. those that didn't. If they all look the same, then your gun is hitting light all the time. Otherwise, it's something intermittent, probably of the gunk variety.

How many rounds total do you have through the gun? Were they all Federals (other than the WWB you mentioned)? It could be you just got a bad box.

It could just be something that took a couple hundred rounds to break in, and it might never be a problem again. Or you might have to send it back to Springfield.

I had a similar problem with my wife's PPK/S. I tried everything I could think of and finally sent it back. They ended up replacing the slide. Hopefully yours is something simple, but don't be shy about contacting Springfield.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #7

Default XD(M) .45, 5.25 misfires

Glockenstein, I saw your post on the XD(M) .45, 5.25. I have been trying various semiautomatics and had Zeroed in on this one, maybe with a 4.5 barrel, havent decided that. I exeperienced the exact same misfire problem while trying the gun at the range. The primer had been struck (lightly??), the bullets were fine. Did you resolve your issue??

Also, I saw anothe blog from aguy whose XD(M) had misfired and sometimes failed to load the battery. It ultimately blew up on him!!

Otherwise, I hear nothing but good things about Springfield and the XD(M)!!
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #8

I have found that if you cleaned your XD Whatever caliber you have and not use oil. It operates ok. But the real issue is the ammo I have found by using Hornady ammo critical defense solved my problem. I got a lot of advice from a friend ex policemen & undercover officer. I've fired alot of different weapons from beebe guns to 8" howitzer s. The XD collection of firearms are great.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I have the 4.5 XDM in 9mm. I rarely clean it except to run a snake down the barrel. Runs dirty really well and accuracy picked up after 500 rds.

Maybe that's the secret - clean sparingly...

Runs as reliably as my HKs but until the 500 rd mark - couldn't shoot w them accuracy wise. Just my .02

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-25-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #10

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could it be hard primers? Never got to shoot any of the xds

you pew pew pew lately bro!?