Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XDm Misfires (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xdm-misfires-56789/)

glockenstein 02-01-2012 06:40 PM

XDm Misfires

Have an XDm .45, 5.25.
It shoots like a dream, is very accurate, and fits me ergonomically well.
However, I have run into a recurring problem in 2 of the last 3 range sessions.
Using Federal 230 gr FMJs purchased @ Wally, I have had numerous failure to fires.
Sometimes every other round, rarely consecutive rounds.
I have lubricated thoroughly, and clean it after every use without fail.
I took it to my local gunnie, explained the problem, and brought along 10 FTF rounds for him to try.
The rounds showed a light primer strike. Wouldn't you know it, all 10 fired consecutively into his can!
I have no ideas, except for the ammo. I ran a box of WWB thru w/ no miscues.
Any ideas out there? I'd greatly appreciate any input. THX!

JonM 02-01-2012 09:09 PM

Slide prolly has shipping grease or gunk in the firing pin channel. Happens with all guns from time to time. Hit the firing pin channel with some gunscrubber real good let it dry for an hour then put one drop of clp or your gun oil of choice in there.

Should clear it up. If it doesnt it will need to be taken apart and cleaned

treehugger49 02-02-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockenstein (Post 696287)
Have an XDm .45, 5.25.
It shoots like a dream, is very accurate, and fits me ergonomically well.
However, I have run into a recurring problem in 2 of the last 3 range sessions.
Using Federal 230 gr FMJs purchased @ Wally, I have had numerous failure to fires.
Sometimes every other round, rarely consecutive rounds.
I have lubricated thoroughly, and clean it after every use without fail.
I took it to my local gunnie, explained the problem, and brought along 10 FTF rounds for him to try.
The rounds showed a light primer strike. Wouldn't you know it, all 10 fired consecutively into his can!
I have no ideas, except for the ammo. I ran a box of WWB thru w/ no miscues.
Any ideas out there? I'd greatly appreciate any input. THX!

If you've been lubricating the striker channel at all, that probably is the source of your problem, assuming the ammo isn't the culprit.

Conventional wisdom from all that I've read about the XD is that you do not lubricate the striker at all.

JonM 02-02-2012 02:28 PM

You arent supposed to lube springs for the most part. They get enough from normal lubing of the gun migrating into the springs. But if you strip off the grease and oil it needs a little to prevent corrosion.

With springs after they have been stripped of oils i lube them then wipe with a cloth or patch. You dont want them dripping just enough to prevent corrosion.

treehugger49 02-02-2012 06:05 PM

I would agree with JonM that any part cleaned with solvent should be re-lubricated with a light coat of oil.

What I was trying to discourage was the placement of oil in the striker channel as a normal course of field stripping maintenance.

utf59 02-02-2012 06:59 PM

I'm by no means a gunsmith, but there are a couple of other things you could look at which would help a real gunsmith figure this out for you.

Compare the primer strikes of the rounds that fired vs. those that didn't. If they all look the same, then your gun is hitting light all the time. Otherwise, it's something intermittent, probably of the gunk variety.

How many rounds total do you have through the gun? Were they all Federals (other than the WWB you mentioned)? It could be you just got a bad box.

It could just be something that took a couple hundred rounds to break in, and it might never be a problem again. Or you might have to send it back to Springfield.

I had a similar problem with my wife's PPK/S. I tried everything I could think of and finally sent it back. They ended up replacing the slide. Hopefully yours is something simple, but don't be shy about contacting Springfield.

jrgrand 03-09-2013 04:50 PM

XD(M) .45, 5.25 misfires

Glockenstein, I saw your post on the XD(M) .45, 5.25. I have been trying various semiautomatics and had Zeroed in on this one, maybe with a 4.5 barrel, havent decided that. I exeperienced the exact same misfire problem while trying the gun at the range. The primer had been struck (lightly??), the bullets were fine. Did you resolve your issue??

Also, I saw anothe blog from aguy whose XD(M) had misfired and sometimes failed to load the battery. It ultimately blew up on him!!

Otherwise, I hear nothing but good things about Springfield and the XD(M)!!
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

bogrizz67 03-24-2013 11:25 PM

I have found that if you cleaned your XD Whatever caliber you have and not use oil. It operates ok. But the real issue is the ammo I have found by using Hornady ammo critical defense solved my problem. I got a lot of advice from a friend ex policemen & undercover officer. I've fired alot of different weapons from beebe guns to 8" howitzer s. The XD collection of firearms are great.

Gonzilla 03-24-2013 11:56 PM

I have the 4.5 XDM in 9mm. I rarely clean it except to run a snake down the barrel. Runs dirty really well and accuracy picked up after 500 rds.

Maybe that's the secret - clean sparingly...:D

Runs as reliably as my HKs but until the 500 rd mark - couldn't shoot w them accuracy wise. Just my .02

duddie10 03-25-2013 01:14 AM

Could it be hard primers? Never got to shoot any of the xds