Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM, Internal Lock Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDM, Internal Lock Question.

Hey everyone... I'm new to handguns.. about to get my first one.. "when I can settle on a dealer and price" I'm interested in the XDM 9mm in OD and I have a dealer selling one for $639.00 but it takes about an hour and 20 to get there. Then I have a dealer who is selling one 14 mins away but selling for $660.00.. Now I wont quibble over $21.00 but the dealer selling the one for $660.00 keeps saying something about making sure the other dealer is offering an "internal lock". Now I understand that on the XDM's you have to have both components compressed.. trigger and hand gripped.. but what is this internal lock she keeps speaking of? I did see a forum where someone was complaining about a S&W with an internal lock that kept prohibiting the gun from firing unintentionally... Thanks in advance for anyone who can help..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Look online, you can do much better than those prices, depending on where you live.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Springfield 1911s have a key lock built into them, XDm may have one as well. Go to Springfield's website and look at the specs. As far as a good price, compare what Bud's charges (add in FFL fees) and see if your dealers are in the ballpark. Gun prices vary widely by region...

Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Could your dealer be referring to the XDM gear? It is the pistol, case, holster, 2 mags, mag loader, bore brush, and lock.

BTW, I just bought a bi-tone XDM (SS/Black $570) online with 2 extra mags (4 total) the total is $676 after FFL, shipping and insurance. If you are willing to wait, you can save some by buying online.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Could be refering to the block which protrudes from the "ceiling" of the slide to mechanically block the firing pin from advancing.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #6

as others have guessed he is speaking of a internal locking safety produced for some models to be sold in states that require them, do review your laws but to the best of my knowledge you are not prohibited from buying weapons with integrated locks, although dealers in a restricted area may have to sell them. As for the practical matter I thought that would be a great idea once, then I bought a sig mosquito and took it out on the maiden shooting it had failure to eject problems...turned out to be the lock was on. It effectively made it one shot then rack and shoot again or TOTALLY USELESS. Since then I have had several others and they are better but for the most part they are "junk safeties" if you can save the money by getting one without and you are worried about safety buy a trigger guard with the money you saved.
IMO

Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How about stopping by the introduction area and letting everyone know you here and little about yourself.

Does your state require an internal lock? I wasn't aware that the XD or the XDm was available with one. I have never seen or owned an XD with one.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

go for price and buy a gun safe. internal locks are worthless. relying on a safety on a weapon always leads to accidental discharge. there is no substitute for proper gun handling practices and storage practices.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
How about stopping by the introduction area and letting everyone know you here and little about yourself.

Does your state require an internal lock? I wasn't aware that the XD or the XDm was available with one. I have never seen or owned an XD with one.
When I saw your response I went to get a link to showthe model #'s with the lock, and to my surprise their is none, I was mistaken, and I do appologize, no XD or XDM has come with an internal safety. Being in arizona, I often get a number of California edition firearms when things are in demand, and I thought I had received one with an internal lock. The CA ed. firearms often come with misc BS added or removed. Again my appologies, I often include links in my posts to prevent such misinformation.