XDM - Dry Firing "OK" - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM - Dry Firing "OK"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1910 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Look at the manual and see what it says.
I have an XDm Compact 9mm. The manual says Copyright 2011, so it's pretty current. They make two slightly different statements in the space of about 4 pages.

First statement : "Before attempting to shoot, practice operations by using snap caps (dummy rounds). Become familiar with the safety features, trigger control, and handling of the firearm."

Second statement : "Before attempting to load this firearm with live ammunition, follow the sequence of operations shown here without ammunition or with dummy rounds. By practicing operations with snap caps (or with dummy rounds), you will become familiar with:
* Safety features,
* Trigger control (snap caps),
* Handling of your firearm."

The phrase "without ammunition" leaves a door open for misinterpretation by anyone looking for the excuse to skip the snap caps. But in context, they both tell the owner to use snap caps for trigger practice. I think the "without ammunition" phrase is there because the statement is about the entire sequence of operations, including locking the gun, field stripping, cleaning and reassembly, all of which must be done without rounds.

When I have tried to use snap caps for trigger practice, I find that the snap cap gets ejected when I try to "bump" the slide to re-cock the trigger. It's possible to pull the slide back about 1/4" and re-cock the trigger without dislodging the snap cap. But much more than that and the snap cap pops out of the chamber and either jams the gun or ejects completely.

Ejecting is just a nuisance. After 5 repetitions, I'm crawling around the living room chasing snap caps.

But I worry about the jams creating problems in the action of the gun. Maybe all the working parts of the gun are harder than the soft metal of the snap cap. Anybody know about that for sure?

Personally I prefer empty dry-fire for a somewhat different reason. The XDm comes equipped with a loaded chamber indicator. I find that indicator (showing empty) to be very reassuring when I'm dry-firing. I've tried both ways, and find the snap caps to be a nuisance. But the manual is pretty clear about recommending them.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 08-06-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #22

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Even if everybody including the manufacturer says its fine to dry fire whatever gun, I still refuse to do so without the caps. No matter what its uneeded stress on parts that cost more than the caps.
I feel the exact same way. I have snap caps in most pistol calibers for that very reason.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just want to say one thing practice DOES NOT Make perfect! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!! Lets face no one will ever have a perfect practice... That's why it's practice

Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1910 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender116 View Post
Just want to say one thing practice DOES NOT Make perfect! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!! Lets face no one will ever have a perfect practice... That's why it's practice
+1. I agree.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #25

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

If you have to dry fire it to break it down, I think the answer is obvious?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7088 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Been dry firing my xdm 45 pretty much nightly since about novemberish/decemberish of last year when i got it. 30-45 minutes of that a nite until i get bored.

No problems yet.
That is without snap caps, right?

Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #27

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I dry fire mine all the time. Never a problem.