XDM - Dry Firing "OK" - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM - Dry Firing "OK"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Lord I wish it was that easy, I envy those of you who can step of the porch and just shoot. I have to use a 22 short with a long barrel just to keep the woodland critters in check.
UNDERSTAND & FEEL FOR YA

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Trigger pull is pretty short and light. Nit really seeing much need for dry firing XD.

Got the kinks out of my technique within the first 50 glorious rounds.

Now this keltec pf9 I just bought...has a long pull and I find it affecting my aim. So dry firing is helping.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Not a month ago, I contacted SA regarding a roll pin issue. Within 48 hours, I had a merchandise catalog with a shiny new roll pin taped to one of the pages. I used to do a lot of dry firing with it, and later invested in snap caps.

**No matter how smooth a trigger is, a few squeezes a day does count as practice; and as they say, "practice makes perfect."

Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 265 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 118

OK, I just got off the phone w SA and they are sending me a new roll pin as well. SA does not consider this a design flaw nor do They feel the need to include a WARNING in their manual. At least Glock CYAs it's two biggest weaknesses in its manual. No lead, no reloads.

Why ? I told them I found out about this problem while reading a Glock vs HD thread. Thank you - "Bilt" for the info & HD forum link.

SA ANSWER: The gun has a lifetime guarantee. It's not a problem because they will fix it or any other "issue" free. Good to know but the ability to "fix" a problem is not exactly my idea of prevention.

Lesson Learned: Read this forum BEFORE buying any firearm. Not a single review from any of the major mags noted this fault. Only the forums talked about it.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-17-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard
Not a month ago, I contacted SA regarding a roll pin issue. Within 48 hours, I had a merchandise catalog with a shiny new roll pin taped to one of the pages. I used to do a lot of dry firing with it, and later invested in snap caps.

**No matter how smooth a trigger is, a few squeezes a day does count as practice; and as they say, "practice makes perfect."
Wrong. Only perfect practice makes perfect On the dry fire note I agree. My uncle a U.S Army Ranger for 25 years still serving says dry fire practice is most important! He says you can perfect your bullet placement with dry fire practice and should be done as much as possible. I can honestly vouch for that as my aim is becoming more and more accurate (in a combat since)... While the gun range is most common for people to shoot and practice aim it does nothing for you in a real life situation while dry fire you can draw your weapon on a whim bring it to a natural point of aim and squeeze the trigger in the privacy of your own home. Overall my 2¢ on dry fire.... EVERYDAY!!! I have been using snap caps since day one!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Been dry firing my xdm 45 pretty much nightly since about novemberish/decemberish of last year when i got it. 30-45 minutes of that a nite until i get bored.

No problems yet.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

What about just dry firing occasionally?

Like before/after cleaning or say clearing the weapon during an IDPA match?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 07-30-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #18

I dry fire my XD 45, the manual talks about dry firing. I have learned a lot from dry firing. This is improving my shot.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2055 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

For what it's worth, there are other uses for the snap caps. Putting a couple at random into your magazine gives you the chance to detect anticipation (pushing muzzle down just before discharge). When the snap cap comes up, you squeeze the trigger as usual, but there is no recoil to cover up your muzzle dropping.

Lately I've found another way to use snap caps for this issue. I don't need to detect that I'm anticipating, I need to correct it. I found that I never, ever, push the muzzle down during dry fire. So, I started loading a magazine with every other round as a snap cap. I get one dry fire to remind myself how I should be squeezing, then one live round to practice it. Haven't dropped my muzzle once in 2-3 range trips. Gonna keep doing this for a while to allow my body (hands, arms, eyes, etc.) to get used to what the squeeze is supposed to feel like. I already know (at least basically) what I'm supposed to be doing, but gotta get the body on board to make it work.

As far as at home dry firing, I tried using snap caps for dry fire practice, but found that I eject the snap cap too often. Even with 5 snap caps in the magazine, after 5-10 dry fires, I'm crawling all over my living room floor looking for snap caps. So I'm back to empty dry fire.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Just saw a youTube video where a guy said he broke his XDM striker retaining pin through dry firing and had the devil of a time with the roll pin. I have been dry firing mine w/o incident but I might have to invest in snap cap. Anyone else have a problem ?
Look at the manual and see what it says.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!