XDM - Dry Firing "OK"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM - Dry Firing "OK"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default XDM - Dry Firing "OK"

Just saw a youTube video where a guy said he broke his XDM striker retaining pin through dry firing and had the devil of a time with the roll pin. I have been dry firing mine w/o incident but I might have to invest in snap cap. Anyone else have a problem ?

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Buy the snap caps. They are cheap and reduce wear on the gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Buy the snap caps. They are cheap and reduce wear on the gun.
Good advice, I went to XD forum and googled it - lots of people have had this problem. SA should have anticipated this and advised people to buy snap caps if they dry fire on a regular basis.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Even if everybody including the manufacturer says its fine to dry fire whatever gun, I still refuse to do so without the caps. No matter what its uneeded stress on parts that cost more than the caps.
Glad to be of help

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2047 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

I had a problem with the roll pin breaking. Mine is an XDm Compact 9mm. I had loaded some manually reloaded dummy rounds to use like snap caps mixed with live rounds to check for anticipating recoil. Worked for a little while, then jammed very badly. In the process of driving the slide loose, the roll pin broke.

Took it to my armorer. He said he has had the same problem in 4 or 5 other XDm pistols. Apparently the roll pin design was changed when SA upgraded their XD design to make the XDm series. The same problem did not affect the XD series.

Armorer also said that dry firing the XD (or the XDm for that matter) is not a problem. I don't see a problem with the dry firing either, but using snap caps doesn't cost nearly what a trip to the armorer could run you. I use snap caps now.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe I just got spoiled w my Colt & HK which have taken bu-co dry firing for IPSC training and never had an issue. In fact, the HK seemed to get even smoother the more I used it. Can't kill a USP...

With modern manufacturing, I thought this issue was in the past with a possible exception for high end, 22 Target guns. Very surprised we are having to talk,about this now. The pistol is called XD - Extreme Duty ??(Except for dry firing).

This pistol was the darling of the gun writers, and NRA's gun of the year in 08 which they celebrated w a nice roll mark on their slide. NO one discovered this flaw ?

The good news: SA will send you two retaining pins once informed but it is up you to pound the old out, clean up any pieces which could jam things up, and then pound the new one in.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-02-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2965 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Maybe I just got spoiled w my Colt & HK which have taken bu-co dry firing for IPSC training and never had an issue. In fact, the HK seemed to get even smoother the more I used it. Can't kill a USP...

With modern manufacturing, I thought this issue was in the past with a possible exception for high end, 22 Target guns. Very surprised we are having to talk,about this now. The pistol is called XD - Extreme Duty (Except for dry firing).

This pistol was the darling of the gun writers, and NRA's gun of the year in 08 which they celebrated w a nice roll mark on their slide. NO one discovered this flaw ?
Geez, take it easy. It's not the end of the world. If you dry fire an XD/XDm, upgrade the pins and move on with your life.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=32

Snap caps are still never a bad idea, regardless of the gun.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You missed the point, in an Exteme Duty service weapon, this should not be necessary.

One engineer even praised the weak link design because it was designed/created to break before other (more expensive parts) were damaged. Put a stronger pin in and what will happen ? Why didn't SA do this from the start ? Was there a reason ? I don't know...?

Yes, I am upset - not quite end of the world - its more like finding problems AFTER I own the gun when IMHO this should have been discovered & fixed BEFORE the gun hit the shelves.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I've never had a problem-
I DON'T DRYFIRE ANY OF MY GUNS-----
If you want to pull the trigger go shoot something

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lord I wish it was that easy, I envy those of you who can step of the porch and just shoot. I have to use a 22 short with a long barrel just to keep the woodland critters in check.