Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XDM - Dry Firing "OK" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xdm-dry-firing-ok-63651/)

Gonzilla 05-01-2012 06:53 PM

XDM - Dry Firing "OK"

Just saw a youTube video where a guy said he broke his XDM striker retaining pin through dry firing and had the devil of a time with the roll pin. I have been dry firing mine w/o incident but I might have to invest in snap cap. Anyone else have a problem ?

mountainman13 05-01-2012 06:54 PM

Buy the snap caps. They are cheap and reduce wear on the gun.

Gonzilla 05-01-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 787463)
Buy the snap caps. They are cheap and reduce wear on the gun.

Good advice, I went to XD forum and googled it - lots of people have had this problem. SA should have anticipated this and advised people to buy snap caps if they dry fire on a regular basis.

mountainman13 05-01-2012 11:42 PM

Even if everybody including the manufacturer says its fine to dry fire whatever gun, I still refuse to do so without the caps. No matter what its uneeded stress on parts that cost more than the caps.
Glad to be of help

Balota 05-02-2012 12:42 AM

I had a problem with the roll pin breaking. Mine is an XDm Compact 9mm. I had loaded some manually reloaded dummy rounds to use like snap caps mixed with live rounds to check for anticipating recoil. Worked for a little while, then jammed very badly. In the process of driving the slide loose, the roll pin broke.

Took it to my armorer. He said he has had the same problem in 4 or 5 other XDm pistols. Apparently the roll pin design was changed when SA upgraded their XD design to make the XDm series. The same problem did not affect the XD series.

Armorer also said that dry firing the XD (or the XDm for that matter) is not a problem. I don't see a problem with the dry firing either, but using snap caps doesn't cost nearly what a trip to the armorer could run you. I use snap caps now.

Gonzilla 05-02-2012 05:05 PM

Maybe I just got spoiled w my Colt & HK which have taken bu-co dry firing for IPSC training and never had an issue. In fact, the HK seemed to get even smoother the more I used it. Can't kill a USP...

With modern manufacturing, I thought this issue was in the past with a possible exception for high end, 22 Target guns. Very surprised we are having to talk,about this now. The pistol is called XD - Extreme Duty ??(Except for dry firing).

This pistol was the darling of the gun writers, and NRA's gun of the year in 08 which they celebrated w a nice roll mark on their slide. NO one discovered this flaw ?

The good news: SA will send you two retaining pins once informed but it is up you to pound the old out, clean up any pieces which could jam things up, and then pound the new one in.

Overkill0084 05-02-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzilla (Post 788337)
Maybe I just got spoiled w my Colt & HK which have taken bu-co dry firing for IPSC training and never had an issue. In fact, the HK seemed to get even smoother the more I used it. Can't kill a USP...

With modern manufacturing, I thought this issue was in the past with a possible exception for high end, 22 Target guns. Very surprised we are having to talk,about this now. The pistol is called XD - Extreme Duty (Except for dry firing).

This pistol was the darling of the gun writers, and NRA's gun of the year in 08 which they celebrated w a nice roll mark on their slide. NO one discovered this flaw ?

Geez, take it easy. It's not the end of the world. If you dry fire an XD/XDm, upgrade the pins and move on with your life.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=32

Snap caps are still never a bad idea, regardless of the gun.

Gonzilla 05-02-2012 05:35 PM

You missed the point, in an Exteme Duty service weapon, this should not be necessary.

One engineer even praised the weak link design because it was designed/created to break before other (more expensive parts) were damaged. Put a stronger pin in and what will happen ? Why didn't SA do this from the start ? Was there a reason ? I don't know...?

Yes, I am upset - not quite end of the world - its more like finding problems AFTER I own the gun when IMHO this should have been discovered & fixed BEFORE the gun hit the shelves.

HOSSFLY 05-02-2012 08:49 PM

I've never had a problem-
I DON'T DRYFIRE ANY OF MY GUNS-----
If you want to pull the trigger go shoot something :D

Gonzilla 05-03-2012 09:45 PM

Lord I wish it was that easy, I envy those of you who can step of the porch and just shoot. I have to use a 22 short with a long barrel just to keep the woodland critters in check.