Xdm compact or xds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Xdm compact or xds

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Default Xdm compact or xds

Hey all,

First time on the forum, but just wanted to get some advice. I've decided to trade in my mp40c for an xdm. I have a lot of .40 ammo stored and like the round so I am sticking with the .40. I assume that springfield will ultimately make an xds chambered in 40 so should I wait for that or go with the xdm compact. I want it for a carry gun, but also want to put some rounds through it at the range.

Thanks in advance.

__________________
nsin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,899
Liked 5910 Times on 3083 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

ive got an xdm 3.8 in 45acp. not a fan of the xds trigger. its not the same as the xdm series.

the only plus to the xds is if width is an issue. for me we have open carry in wisconsin i typically owb under my shirt and if it peeks out no biggee.

the xds is pretty accurate from the few ive seen in action. the xdm 3.8 with its full size mag and spacer make it into a full size frame. ive also got a 4.5 xdm in 45 acp and at 25 yards i cant really tell a difference in accuracy

not gonna tell you what to do just lay out some advantages

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
ive got an xdm 3.8 in 45acp. not a fan of the xds trigger. its not the same as the xdm series.

the only plus to the xds is if width is an issue. for me we have open carry in wisconsin i typically owb under my shirt and if it peeks out no biggee.

the xds is pretty accurate from the few ive seen in action. the xdm 3.8 with its full size mag and spacer make it into a full size frame. ive also got a 4.5 xdm in 45 acp and at 25 yards i cant really tell a difference in accuracy

not gonna tell you what to do just lay out some advantages
Is xdm or xds trigger like the regular xd?
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,899
Liked 5910 Times on 3083 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

all three are different feels from each other. i think the xds is closer in feel to those nasty draggy glock triggers.

my pref is for the xdm trigger. its predictable in where it breaks making it a very very fast shooter.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin
Hey all,

First time on the forum, but just wanted to get some advice. I've decided to trade in my mp40c for an xdm. I have a lot of .40 ammo stored and like the round so I am sticking with the .40. I assume that springfield will ultimately make an xds chambered in 40 so should I wait for that or go with the xdm compact. I want it for a carry gun, but also want to put some rounds through it at the range.

Thanks in advance.
As has been stated, the big difference is width, which translates to capacity. Apparently the trigger, but having never shot either of them, I wouldn't have known that.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the M&P?

Be sure to stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cblowe13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 583
Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
all three are different feels from each other. i think the xds is closer in feel to those nasty draggy glock triggers.

my pref is for the xdm trigger. its predictable in where it breaks making it a very very fast shooter.
Nooooooo I wanted an xds so bad until that. Ill have to go shoot one and see. I like the xd trigger I did shoot the competition xdm 9 and wow it felt amazing.
__________________
cblowe13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Thanks for the information everyone. I have shot the xds in 45 and I thought the trigger was very glock like.

As for the m&p it was the first handgun I ever purchased. I bought it for the name and that it was made in America. I love the gun and it really got me into firearms, but I just do not like how it feels in my hand compared to the xd and even glocks Also, and maybe it's jut my shooting, after I fire more than about 50 rounds at a time the trigger just doesn't feel right and my trigger finger starts to get fatigued.

Thanks again.

__________________
nsin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin
Thanks for the information everyone. I have shot the xds in 45 and I thought the trigger was very glock like.

As for the m&p it was the first handgun I ever purchased. I bought it for the name and that it was made in America. I love the gun and it really got me into firearms, but I just do not like how it feels in my hand compared to the xd and even glocks Also, and maybe it's jut my shooting, after I fire more than about 50 rounds at a time the trigger just doesn't feel right and my trigger finger starts to get fatigued.

Thanks again.
Fair enough. If it were only the trigger, I'd say throw in an Apex trigger kit.

But if it doesn't fit you hand, it doesn't fit your hand. *shrug*
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Fair enough. If it were only the trigger, I'd say throw in an Apex trigger kit.

But if it doesn't fit you hand, it doesn't fit your hand. *shrug*
Haha. I could change out the trigger. I've tried and tried to get it to fit better in my hand. I've tried different grips and there is something just off. I still can shoot the gun great. My wife says if I want something new I have to trade it in. But... like the old saying goes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Or I could sell a guitar amp and finance a new gun that way.
__________________
nsin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,899
Liked 5910 Times on 3083 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Nooooooo I wanted an xds so bad until that. Ill have to go shoot one and see. I like the xd trigger I did shoot the competition xdm 9 and wow it felt amazing.
yes go shoot one. or handle one. im pretty picky on pistol triggers
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
HK45 Compact or HK USP Compact - which is better? north1020 General Handgun Discussion 7 06-24-2013 08:40 PM
Sub-compact/compact CCW Caliber choice KJG67 General Handgun Discussion 11 02-14-2013 08:19 PM
Compact vs Sub-Compact for C.C. (Glock) LibertyGunworks Glock Forum 5 01-19-2013 10:01 PM
best sub compact? tbruins37 Semi-Auto Handguns 26 01-02-2012 11:46 PM
9mm CCW S&W M&P compact or Beretta PX4 sub-compact UberMonkey Semi-Auto Handguns 5 08-04-2008 08:24 PM