Xdm compact or xds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Xdm compact or xds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Xdm compact or xds

Hey all,

First time on the forum, but just wanted to get some advice. I've decided to trade in my mp40c for an xdm. I have a lot of .40 ammo stored and like the round so I am sticking with the .40. I assume that springfield will ultimately make an xds chambered in 40 so should I wait for that or go with the xdm compact. I want it for a carry gun, but also want to put some rounds through it at the range.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5910 Times on 3083 Posts
Likes Given: 415

ive got an xdm 3.8 in 45acp. not a fan of the xds trigger. its not the same as the xdm series.

the only plus to the xds is if width is an issue. for me we have open carry in wisconsin i typically owb under my shirt and if it peeks out no biggee.

the xds is pretty accurate from the few ive seen in action. the xdm 3.8 with its full size mag and spacer make it into a full size frame. ive also got a 4.5 xdm in 45 acp and at 25 yards i cant really tell a difference in accuracy

not gonna tell you what to do just lay out some advantages

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #3

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
ive got an xdm 3.8 in 45acp. not a fan of the xds trigger. its not the same as the xdm series.

the only plus to the xds is if width is an issue. for me we have open carry in wisconsin i typically owb under my shirt and if it peeks out no biggee.

the xds is pretty accurate from the few ive seen in action. the xdm 3.8 with its full size mag and spacer make it into a full size frame. ive also got a 4.5 xdm in 45 acp and at 25 yards i cant really tell a difference in accuracy

not gonna tell you what to do just lay out some advantages
Is xdm or xds trigger like the regular xd?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

all three are different feels from each other. i think the xds is closer in feel to those nasty draggy glock triggers.

my pref is for the xdm trigger. its predictable in where it breaks making it a very very fast shooter.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin
Hey all,

First time on the forum, but just wanted to get some advice. I've decided to trade in my mp40c for an xdm. I have a lot of .40 ammo stored and like the round so I am sticking with the .40. I assume that springfield will ultimately make an xds chambered in 40 so should I wait for that or go with the xdm compact. I want it for a carry gun, but also want to put some rounds through it at the range.

Thanks in advance.
As has been stated, the big difference is width, which translates to capacity. Apparently the trigger, but having never shot either of them, I wouldn't have known that.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the M&P?

Be sure to stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #6

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
all three are different feels from each other. i think the xds is closer in feel to those nasty draggy glock triggers.

my pref is for the xdm trigger. its predictable in where it breaks making it a very very fast shooter.
Nooooooo I wanted an xds so bad until that. Ill have to go shoot one and see. I like the xd trigger I did shoot the competition xdm 9 and wow it felt amazing.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the information everyone. I have shot the xds in 45 and I thought the trigger was very glock like.

As for the m&p it was the first handgun I ever purchased. I bought it for the name and that it was made in America. I love the gun and it really got me into firearms, but I just do not like how it feels in my hand compared to the xd and even glocks Also, and maybe it's jut my shooting, after I fire more than about 50 rounds at a time the trigger just doesn't feel right and my trigger finger starts to get fatigued.

Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin
Thanks for the information everyone. I have shot the xds in 45 and I thought the trigger was very glock like.

As for the m&p it was the first handgun I ever purchased. I bought it for the name and that it was made in America. I love the gun and it really got me into firearms, but I just do not like how it feels in my hand compared to the xd and even glocks Also, and maybe it's jut my shooting, after I fire more than about 50 rounds at a time the trigger just doesn't feel right and my trigger finger starts to get fatigued.

Thanks again.
Fair enough. If it were only the trigger, I'd say throw in an Apex trigger kit.

But if it doesn't fit you hand, it doesn't fit your hand. *shrug*

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Fair enough. If it were only the trigger, I'd say throw in an Apex trigger kit.

But if it doesn't fit you hand, it doesn't fit your hand. *shrug*
Haha. I could change out the trigger. I've tried and tried to get it to fit better in my hand. I've tried different grips and there is something just off. I still can shoot the gun great. My wife says if I want something new I have to trade it in. But... like the old saying goes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Or I could sell a guitar amp and finance a new gun that way.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Nooooooo I wanted an xds so bad until that. Ill have to go shoot one and see. I like the xd trigger I did shoot the competition xdm 9 and wow it felt amazing.
yes go shoot one. or handle one. im pretty picky on pistol triggers