XDM aiming issue

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM aiming issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDM aiming issue

I bought my XDM 40 new a short while ago and I am having trouble with aiming it properly. I keep naturaly aiming low (about 2 inches) and when I try to compensate, I am 2 inches high. Its my first pistol so maybe im not squeezing the trigger right but I cant seem to find the sweet spot. Anyone have any tips for a novice handgun owner looking to improve on his accuracy?

I am deadly accurate with my Remington 870 shotgun so I know im not blind I think there might be a fundamental technique in handgun accuracy that im missing completly.

(if its relevent... I'm a left-handed shooter.) Only issue with my XDM 40 is that it doesnt have ambidextrious slide release.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If your windage is good and you're only two inches low you're off to a good start. Keep practicing your Target acquisition and you'll get it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Could be trigger control-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Most likely is trigger control. I'm always amazed with the amount of people that don't know how to squeeze a trigger correctly.

Zamzow

Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Who isn't deadly accurate with a shotgun. Lol.

Zamzow

Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4LK1N View Post
I bought my XDM 40 new a short while ago and I am having trouble with aiming it properly. I keep naturaly aiming low (about 2 inches) and when I try to compensate, I am 2 inches high. Its my first pistol so maybe im not squeezing the trigger right but I cant seem to find the sweet spot. Anyone have any tips for a novice handgun owner looking to improve on his accuracy?

I am deadly accurate with my Remington 870 shotgun so I know im not blind I think there might be a fundamental technique in handgun accuracy that im missing completly.

(if its relevent... I'm a left-handed shooter.) Only issue with my XDM 40 is that it doesnt have ambidextrious slide release.
Here's a good video from one of the best. You may also want to explore the proper techniques for stance, grip, sighting and triggering. Being accurate with a handgun is a whole lot different than a shotgun...not even sure what accurate with a shotgun looks like...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went to the range this morning and blew away 200 rounds with my xd9sc....in the manual and from what I've heard from people on this forum, I am suppose to aim at the 6:00 position of the bulls-eye.....well I found out that at 10yrds/30ft, I'm dead on if I cover up the center of the bull with the front sight. Ate the hell out of 3 bullseyes

Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamzow View Post
Who isn't deadly accurate with a shotgun. Lol.

Zamzow
I used to shoot skeet, and you'd be amazed how easy it is miss. Pick your head up or failure to keep the barrel moving and it's time to consult the infamous "Big Book of Excuses." Shoot enough and you'll have a multi-volume set.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-21-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #9

Thanks guys! I'll get to practicing.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

I really think it could be a grip and position issue that was mine with the xdm .45. I shot 2-3" low at 20/25 yards. Fixed it by stance, leaning into it a little, and was showed a proper grip for a semi auto. Suckers on point now. And im a leftie as well. Follow that advise posted before me on grip and practice that often. Its like learning proper grip for a knife, weird the first few times, but once you get used to it and practice it, its second nature and is all sorts of benefit