XDm 9mm questions from the newbie
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDm 9mm questions from the newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDm 9mm questions from the newbie

The gun show rolls through town in a few days and me and a friend plan to head that way. I'm considering buying a hand gun and I'm looking around for a good one.

A few tidbits first:

1) I do not own any firearms right now, and am not interested in concealed carry. (which is legal here)
2) I plan to learn on whatever I buy, there's an indoor gun range 1/2 a mile from my house.
3) I have laughable little girly hands. Shooting my friends Glock 19 I can't easily reach the slide or magazine release, etc... I know, I know.
4) I've shot a variety of firearms, I'm amazingly bad with handguns and the opposite with long guns. (this is comparing myself to my friends there at the time, other inexperienced shooters. Most accurate with the 308, least accurate with the 45)

I'm hoping to be able to hold one and see if it fits my hands better than the G19, are there any options for the XD (or options in general) for small handed people? Or is this a case of me just needing to learn what I'm doing?

Would you consider the XDm 9mm a good first gun/investment? Is it a good gun to learn on?

A selling point for me is the XDm comes with a case, holster, extra clip, and some other goodies (I think grip options and maybe cleaning kit? Can't remember for sure) Is it worth taking something like that into consideration?

I'm a gun newbie, so I expect a lot of 'AW WOOK AT THE WITTLE BAABY' replies to my questions, which is fine

Last edited by hewhoisiam; 07-22-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I will say first I am definitely not one of the more knowledgeable members here but I do own an xdm. I also have a glock and would say you are doing a little better than yer friends g19 if you go with the Springfield. It does come nicely packaged with accessories including the interchangeable back straps which will probably be a plus to you with those wee little hands lol JK

If you don't own a gun now do yourself a favor

A- shop around and pick up and hold as many as you can until you find one that feels comfortable to you, is the caliber you want and is in the price range you can afford.
B- stick to a good quality firearm from a major manufacturer

If you have more questions about brands there are plenty of very smart and experienced members here that can help steer you in the right direction

Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I absolutely love my xdm9. It was my second handgun purchase and after I bought it, I couldn't keep my hands off it. Kinda like when you meet a new girl (aka college). I took it to the range about twice a week for several weeks and I truly enjoy shooting it. It fits well in my hand, and has very little recoil. I ended up trading my other pistol for a benelli nova because I realized I would never really shoot it now that I had the springfield. One of the great things about the springfield is the indicator on top of the slide that lets you know if its loaded. If my dog hears something in the night, all I have to do is jump out of bed, run my hand across the top, and I imidiately know if its loaded, no turning on the light to give your position away or anything. Also if you like the 9mm, I'm not sure of any other gun that holds 19 in the clip and still has a small grip frame, which will be a plus with your small hands(all jokes aside). And like you said it comes with all types of goodies. I feel like if its your first gun, you will be quite pleased and its very user friendly, easy to field strip and clean. I have at least 600 rounds through mine and have had no failures at all. I would trust my life on it.

But like ktm said, get to a gun shop and hold one, and several other guns. Also see if the range near your house will let you rent one to shoot, that will be your best bet to see how well it fits you. Also there is a thread somewhere on here about a brutal test that the springfield was put through, and after I had shot one and did my research I couldn't buy one fast enough. good luck bro. let us know how it goes.

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Last edited by jwhirl413; 07-22-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: additions

Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Here is the torture test I was referring to. while it may have been on the XD, I cant see how the XDM would fair any worse. Just thought it might help, and its a pretty good read.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

I changed my mind about the round I wanted. From what I know, the .40 is a nice combination of the high capacity of a 9mm and the stopping power of a .45, so I got the XDm in .40 instead. I'll be shooting it again tomorrow and I'll let you all know.

It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Cool! Post a range report and pics!!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #7

Sure sure. Just have to get over the buyer's remorse.

It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoisiam View Post
Sure sure. Just have to get over the buyer's remorse.
Buyer's remorse with an XDM? I would think there'd be buyer's JOY! I wish my XD45 was an "M"...

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #9

Nah, I'm very happy with it, but it's just me. Anytime I spend more than 50$ on something, I consider eating meals of Spam and tree bark for a few weeks to recoup my losses financially

First trip to the range today. I immediately shot better than the Glock 30. 100 rounds at 10-15 yards. Everything on the target, even if the first few shots were wild. (low and right) After that, the groupings were pretty solid. I seem to have a slight tendency to shoot down and right 2 or 3 inches. It's really easy to shoot a lot of rounds quick and not realize it with these 16 round mags. I like the grip angle of this gun better than the G30, it's a very natural feel to aiming and holding it.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #10

(green with envy) Wish I was at the range by now, my XD45 is still virginal...

Glad your range trip went well, and it sounds as though the XDm's natural point of aim is in good alignment with your skeletal kinematics.

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!