Xdm 9mm ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Xdm 9mm ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Xdm 9mm ammo

An I use +p in my XDM 9mm
Also does it matter what type of grain ? Also does anyone recommend any good ammo for self defense and range ?
Thanks in advanced

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyGrill View Post
An I use +p in my XDM 9mm
Also does it matter what type of grain ? Also does anyone recommend any good ammo for self defense and range ?
Thanks in advanced
If I understand what you're asking correctly, yes you can use +P rounds in your XDm. Everyone has their own personal preference for ammunition so find one that you can shoot smooth and you like. You would most likely want to use a different type of round at the range than what you would use for self defense. My range rounds are all Remmington, usually upc because it's cheap. But my home defense rounds are Hornady +p flexlock rounds (I think they are 135 grain). Nowadays I'd say get whatever you can really, most local shops are almost completely depleted of 9 mill.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsV

If I understand what you're asking correctly, yes you can use +P rounds in your XDm. Everyone has their own personal preference for ammunition so find one that you can shoot smooth and you like. You would most likely want to use a different type of round at the range than what you would use for self defense. My range rounds are all Remmington, usually upc because it's cheap. But my home defense rounds are Hornady +p flexlock rounds (I think they are 135 grain). Nowadays I'd say get whatever you can really, most local shops are almost completely depleted of 9 mill.
Thanks for the good information, yeah it's bad I went to a few shops and they are very low on 9mm and other types of ammo. I need to purchase more self defense ammo. I will probably going to look for some soon again.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Your manual will tell you if your gun is rated for +p or not. It is. That said it's on you, do it if ya want. I've yet to see any reports or statistics that prove a +p round has any more "stopping power" than standard. I stick with standard factory loads confidently.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Your manual will tell you if your gun is rated for +p or not. It is. That said it's on you, do it if ya want. I've yet to see any reports or statistics that prove a +p round has any more "stopping power" than standard. I stick with standard factory loads confidently.
That's because the added powder pressure is not for stopping power for 9mm rounds, it's for velocity. Do your homework.

Here's a good place explaining +P rounds.

http://greent.com/40Page/general/plusp.htm

"...By manufacturing ammunition to a higher pressure level, companies can achieve greater velocity with any given bullet. This means more momentum and muzzle energy..."

For the OP, if you're using good JHP 9mm rounds, you will (in most cases) have plenty of stopping power.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #6

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsV View Post

That's because the added powder pressure is not for stopping power for 9mm rounds, it's for velocity. Do your homework.

"...By manufacturing ammunition to a higher pressure level, companies can achieve greater velocity with any given bullet. This means more momentum and muzzle energy..."

For the OP, if you're using good JHP 9mm rounds, you will (in most cases) have plenty of stopping power.
9mm already has over penetration issues, who would want further velocity? Not I.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
9mm already has over penetration issues, who would want further velocity? Not I.
A friend of mine posted this comment on instagram a while back so I thought I would share:
"Velocity is a key factor to the overall extent of gun shot wound injuries. According to the kinetic energy equation (kinetic energy=mass/2xvelocity squared) doubling the mass doubles the energy. However doubling the velocity quadruples the energy. Therefore a small-caliber bullet traveling at high speed can produce a more extensive injury than a larger caliber bullet traveling at a slower speed."

So I do agree with you that over penetration can be a problem for some with the 9mm round so it's not for everyone, especially if their handgun isn't rated to be able to shoot +p consistently without replacing parts. But it WILL do more damage.

Now you can't get +p in 40 but many love the extra velocity in 45 being that it's a slower round.

It has it's positives and negatives just like anything else. But to the OP, I will always recommend that you do NOT use +p or +p+ rounds consistantly at the range, because regardless of the gun (in most cases) it will wear down faster than usual.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsV

Thanks for the great information !!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyGrill View Post
Thanks for the great information !!
Your welcome.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Maybe if your using FMJ ammo. Most if not all the gel tests of modern 9mm JHP ammo I've seen demonstrates 12-14 inch penetration which the FBI considers near optimal.

Actually, increased velocity can sometimes prevent over penetration. The original 147gr JHP 9mm loads often had problems with over penetration because their velocity was too low to consistently expand. The fixed this problem at least in part by increasing velocity.