Xdm 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Xdm 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Xdm 9mm

Hello Everyone... I Picked up a XDM 9mm Yesterday as a Gift to myself and im not scared to admit im fairly new to Handguns. I currently own a Sportsman .22 Revolver thats mounted on a 45 frame that i inherited from my Father. (I mainly carry it when i go fishing). Anyways ive been around Long guns my whole life and Safety was instilled in me when i was a Young and i still carry that with me today. Ive yet to Shoot my Pistol (Damn you Daytona 500) I hope to get to the Range tomorrow and Run some rounds thru my gun. Ive read the Manual from Cover to Cover, Ive Read Many threads here concerning many different topics and I still have a question concerning Chambering a Shell on my gun. (I know some of you are gonna be like, Damn thats a Dumb question) When i slide a Magazine in while the Slide is retracted, It goes easily and when you release the slide it chambers a Round and cocks the Gun (Like its suppost to). But.. Say i wanted to store my gun without a round chambered and a magazine inserted ive noticed it takes a little more force to push the magazine in, without the slide retracted. Is that Ok? What is that Resistance im feeling at the Last 1/4" or Insertion? Is that Normal? Im sorry if im not being clear as I am New to Pistols as i stated.

Thanks..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

Thanks anyways, I found my answer via the XD Website.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It shouldn't make a difference.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hmm.. I googled "Loading a Magazine with the slide closed" and it came up as a very common theme that more force was required to lock the magazine in place especially on New Magazines over Various Models. There is NO difference untill you get to the last 1/4" of Closure, Then it takes a little more umph to lock it.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

The top round in a loaded mag sits slightly higher than the lips on the magazine. With the slide retracted, the top round contacts nothing so the mag pops in with no resistance.
With the slide forward, the top round will contact the bottom of the slide prior to the mag locking into the gun. Your forcing the top round deeper into the mag by doing this...but it should not make a difference and will not hurt the pistol or the mag.

TACK

Old 02-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
The top round in a loaded mag sits slightly higher than the lips on the magazine. With the slide retracted, the top round contacts nothing so the mag pops in with no resistance.
With the slide forward, the top round will contact the bottom of the slide prior to the mag locking into the gun. Your forcing the top round deeper into the mag by doing this...but it should not make a difference and will not hurt the pistol or the mag.

TACK
Thanks thats what i read also... and it was More noticable on New magazines.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hmm.. I googled "Loading a Magazine with the slide closed" and it came up as a very common theme that more force was required to lock the magazine in place especially on New Magazines over Various Models. There is NO difference untill you get to the last 1/4" of Closure, Then it takes a little more umph to lock it.

Sorry its out of order, it wouldnt let me post earlier without a Admins approval.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

No prob. There are some strictures that a new member has to deal with. Those will be gone soon.

Sorry, my response should have been more clear. You have it exactly right.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #9

Hi ya I would like to trade a #1 or # 3 spacer for a #2 spacer for the 19 round mag any interest

John