Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDM-9 3.8 vs Flintlock-50! A Pirate's Review!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default XDM-9 3.8 vs Flintlock-50! A Pirate's Review!

I picked up my new XDM-9 3.8 with Night Sights on Tuesday, the 9th. What a LASS!!! The entire package is a work of art.

I wanted to provide a Review and Comparison, from a Pirate’s perspective, between my current carry weapon, two 18th Century Flintlock Pistols, and my new XDM-9.

First, a Size Comparison:

As you can see, the XDM-9 is somewhat dwarfed, compared to the size of my Flintlock. The sizing is:

Flintlock:
Overall Length: 17-1/2" Long
Barrel Length: 10-1/2" Long
Weight: 2-lbs 12-oz

XDM-9:
Overall Length: 7”
Barrel Length: 3.8”
Weight: 27.5-oz

Carrying the Flintlock can be quite cumbersome. I usually carry it either in a bandolier strapped across my chest, or tucked into my belt. Either method is fine, but not for a Conceal Carry.

The XDM-9, on the other hand, can be carried as a Conceal Carry, just about anywhere on me.

Second, Standard Accessories:

Springfield blows the competition away with their XDM Package. Mine came with the neat XDM-9 3.8 pistol, Holster, Twin Mag Case, Two 19-rnd Mags, Mag Loader, Bore Brush, and a Gun Lock, not to mention a very cool hard plastic case, that will last for quite some time.

The only accessory that came with my Flintlock, was the Ramrod, pictured just under the Barrel in the pic below. Not even a lanyard or case was provided! Hmmmmm!

Third, Ammo Capacity:

The Flintlock, has a 0 + 1 Ammo Capacity, a 50 Cal Lead Ball, while the XDM-9 3.8 has a 19 + 1 Ammo Capacity, FMJ 9mm Rounds. Had the XDM-9 3.8 been available in 1718, I wouldn’t have lost my head to LT Maynard of the Royal Navy, and my head being used as a Wine Tankard in Williamsburg, VA. Adventure, would have sailed on, taking me to my next port ‘o call! Alas… history is what it is!

Fourth, Shooting and Accuracy:

The Flintlock is accurate within a few feet at best, and used primarily for close quarters. When fired, it has a kick like a Tavern Wench! It has been said, that in order to make the Flintlock a more accurate firearm in a close quarter fight, the Shooter would have to stab the offending Sea Swab with his Cutlass!

The XDM-9, on the other hand, is highly accurate at many, many yards. When fired, it pops up a bit in the Bow, but the Stern stands fast! An EXTREMELY comfortable and fun weapon to fire!

I placed my 300th round through my XDM-9 today, and can say that my decision to go with Springfield Armory, and their XDM-9 3.8 Model, was the right choice for me!

I am impressed with the XDM-9's hidden Hammer, and the Rear Pin, that indicates the pistol is cocked and ready to fire. Takes all of the guess work out of it. The Flintlock..... a little harder to hide this Hammer.....

Fifth, Sights:

The Flintlock has no sights, and is just a point-n-shoot pistol.

I ordered my XDM-9 with the Trijicon Night Sights. Very easy to see the Three-Dot Sights during the day, and are very cool and easy to see in the dark. Good choice!

In Closing…:

My wife and I went to the Range yesterday, and fired her Ruger LCR 38 Spcl, Taurus 738 380, and my XDM-9 and Ruger LCP 380. We fired at CHL Targets, placed at 3, 7 & 15 yards (9, 21 & 45 feet, for you landlubbers…), respectively. She shot her two guns, and I shot all four, saving my XDM-9 for last. The two 380’s have quite a kick to them, while the 38 Spcl kicked more than I expected, since it had the Hogue Rubber Grip on it. Still, I liked shooting the revolver. It was a nice change of pace. However, when it came time to quit playing around, and get down to some real Target Practice, my XDM-9 came out of its case. That pistol is such a pleasure to shoot. Minimal Recoil, Accurate, Smooth Operation, and just an all around great looking piece of machinery.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Shipmates!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #2

Yaaarrrr Matey, nothing beats a carronade for defense says I...

Of all the things I lost in Katrina, I miss my mind the most...

Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

A great and unique comparison there Blackbeard! I, personally, would love to see some targets with both pistols' and their accuracy represented.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. *thumbs up*

JD

Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Very nicely done. I salute you.