XDm 5.25 Competition Series
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XDm 5.25 Competition Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XDm 5.25 Competition Series

On Veterans Day, I treated myself to a Bi-Tone XDm 5.25 in 9mm. Took it out to the POW Range (Privately Owned Weapons) at Fort Lee today and let it gobble up 300 rounds of 5 different types of 115 gr FMJ target loads. Without even a hiccup, it perfomed faultlessly and dramatically accurate like like the Springfiled ads would lead one to believe. Like my other XDm models in 9mm,
.40 & .45 the out of the box reliability and accuracy was impressive to say the least. It also commanded the attention of several other attendees whom shot it with some of their personal ammo as well as some GI loads. Oh, to be young again with eagle eyes and rock steady sighting. Some of these guys took it out to 40 yards and were dropping center MOA's as if it were at the 10 yard stake. Anyone who likes the XDm series will like this 5.25 Competition as well. Yeah, I'm some what prejiduce. Lots of nice semi's out there. BTW, just had a 40 year reunion (3 years late) with my service outfit. You know something? We all sure look different! Thank goodness for 40 years old photos!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
RUT
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

>On Veterans Day, I treated myself to a Bi-Tone XDm 5.25 in 9mm<<

Glad you like it! I did the same thing the other day, and will be picking it up this afternoon!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just wish they would put the three dot sight on the 5.25. I just do not like the sight picture with the fiber optic against the solid black.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #4

I would have to agree. Also, I would have liked the fiber insert from the factory to have been green instead of the red if it's going to be against the solid black. The reason I say this is that to take out the red fiber insert and to install the green one that is supplied does not look as good as in reference to the installation. It's simply not that easy. Trying to "melt" the ends to look as good as the factory installed red one needs a gunsmith or someone with more "skill" than my old eyes and not so steady hands will perform. I have not been able to make it look good yet. I think I may have to get the XDm green laser from Virdian. Any suggestions as to how to install the supplied green insert to make it look professional would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gray Ghost

Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If I were to attempt the fiber optic change myself I believe I would do this. After you install the green fiber optic use a butane torch that will stand up itself and just use the very edge of the flame to lick at the fiber optic. It won't take much to ball that plastic up enough so it won't slip out. Gravity should take care of the shaping. Whatever you do do not touch it or you will imbed fingerprint marks in it forever.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip. I do, indeed, have the means to try that. Yesterday, I also contacted a local "gunsmith" who said he would do it for me. He indicated the process was most identical to your suggestion.

Thanks, again,
Gray Ghost

Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

There are also some great videos on you tube that show you exactly how to do it as well.

I shoot a lot of steel matches and I love the red on black sights. If you are shooting fast, they are the way to go. I have some adjustable Dawson fiber optics on mine and I just blacked out the rear optics. It works great. If I ever stop shooting steel, I will just remove the blackout ink.

Last edited by Whiteeye; 03-01-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the input. I'll check out some videos. I need the green in most of my fiber optics, as well as lasers, as I have a "color blindness", if you will for lack of a better scientific/medical explanation, in the red spectrum....along with some other colors. Too many "flash bangs" from my military career 45 years ago, I'm told. Thanks again, most kindly, for your post.

Gray Ghost

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #9

Whiteeye - Again thanks for the tip on how to change the fiber optic front sight on my XDm 5.25. I went to the 'youtube' video from Dawson Precision. It simply showed how easy it is to change out the fiber optic on their sight. I used the same procedure on the XDm sight today, removing the red FOS and installing the green FOS that came with the XDm 5.25. IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY! (Now, kinda' feel like an idiot because it is so simple, but I soon got over that feeling quickly, especially once I took it outside and enjoyed how well it worked for this old Veteran's eyes.) So, once again, thanks so much for your suggestion.

Gray Ghost

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Whiteeye - Again thanks for the tip on how to change the fiber optic front sight on my XDm 5.25. I went to the 'youtube' video from Dawson Precision. It simply showed how easy it is to change out the fiber optic on their sight. I used the same procedure on the XDm sight today, removing the red FOS and installing the green FOS that came with the XDm 5.25. IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY! (Now, kinda' feel like an idiot because it is so simple, but I soon got over that feeling quickly, especially once I took it outside and enjoyed how well it worked for this old Veteran's eyes.) So, once again, thanks so much for your suggestion.

Gray Ghost
Great to hear but i'm a little POed at you now
You've made me want another gun

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET