Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XDm 5.25" 45ACP Malfunction (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xdm-5-25-45acp-malfunction-84403/)

Balota 02-16-2013 08:48 PM

XDm 5.25" 45ACP Malfunction
 
Ran into a malfunction during an IDPA Classifier last week. I've now been able to repeatably demonstrate the malfunction. I have a video showing the problem, but I'm not sure how to upload it for y'all to see. YouTube? (Edit: Never tried uploading to YouTube before. Have no idea if this will work. http://youtu.be/C0EFCiLlrsU )

Problem occurs when a round is in the chamber. During the Classifier, after 1 round was fired, the slide did not return all the way back into battery. It stopped about 1/8" short of being in battery. Almost always a normal cycle returns the slide with far more than enough momentum to get all the way into battery. I don't know for sure whether the slide went into battery and bounced back out or whether it stopped short.

I can repeat this situation using snap caps and manually cycling the slide. After loading a snap cap, I can perform a very gentle chamber check. Pull the slide back just far enough to see the snap cap color. Then gently return the slide forward. The slide hangs up 1/8" short of battery.

When the gun is in this condition, the slightest nudge is enough to finish the job and return to battery. If I point the muzzle straight down, the weight of the slide is generally enough to get back into battery.

When I pinch the slide back slowly I can see the chamber end of the barrel drop down slightly. When I return the slide slowly, the barrel does not push back up until the slide gets that slight extra nudge.

Any thoughts?

lbwar15 02-16-2013 09:54 PM

The gun barrel brakes free and tilts up at the muzzle when the slide is manipulate. If you barley move it back as you did in the video it will not have enuf momentum to allow it to lock the barrel in place and return to battery. All tilt barrel guns will do this that I am aware of. My XD and glock do it.

Pull the slide all the way back and let go. It should go all the way into position. A good cleaning and lube should fix it.

Renegade44 02-16-2013 10:01 PM

Is the rail burred up or warped, spring damaged or tweaked? I've got the same exact gun and have yet to have that issue. I do oil my rails, inner and outer after each range shooting too.
Looks like it has a catch either at the rear or the front to prevent forward motion. It can't be a biggy, since you can barely bump it forward or downward angle remedies it.

Wiebelhaus 02-16-2013 10:11 PM

I've seen this before and it was corrected in that case by shaving burs off the rails on both the slide and the frame, it may also be warping or broken rail system but if you can determine where it's catching you may be able to correct it, the other case I saw was on a cheap Smith 40, SVE's I think, the black and silver ones.

Balota 02-16-2013 10:33 PM

Pretty much a new gun, about 1000 rounds total so far. I clean it and lube it after every range visit (typical 50-100 rounds per trip). At the Classifier, the Match Director (a gunsmith) checked the gun out. He said if anything it's a little over lubricated, but not a sloppy mess or anything.

If the malfunction only happened when pinch checking the chamber, I wouldn't worry much. But it happened after a normal live firing. Not limp wristed or anything like that. Just cleaned it about 2 hours ago after a range trip that involved no malfunctions at all. I'll strip it down again to look closely for any burrs or other funny looking stuff on the slide and rails.

Seems like I have 3 main options:
1. Send back to Springfield.
2. Take to local gunsmith (at the shop where I bought it).
3. Do nothing.

The last is not a choice I'd make without some very experienced person explaining why this is not a real problem.

orangello 02-16-2013 10:36 PM

Good luck, i wanna know how it works out.

Brennan16 02-16-2013 10:41 PM

Not saying that yours and my problem was of the same result but I had one similar.
My XD40 service pistol was doing about the same thing. I have had at least 1500 rounds through mine when it started. I bought a Wolff spring kit (22 lbs instead of factory 17 lbs) and it solved all my problems. It's been working great for over a year now.

Balota 02-16-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade44 (Post 1140607)
Is the rail burred up or warped, spring damaged or tweaked? I've got the same exact gun and have yet to have that issue. I do oil my rails, inner and outer after each range shooting too.
Looks like it has a catch either at the rear or the front to prevent forward motion. It can't be a biggy, since you can barely bump it forward or downward angle remedies it.

Just took it down and looked close with a flashlight. I don't see any kind of burrs either on the slide or the frame rails. It won't stay out of battery if the chamber is empty. It almost looks like the loaded chamber indicator is bumping up against the back of the round. But I can move the indicator by finger pressure without releasing the hangup. Grrrr....

Balota 02-16-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan16 (Post 1140669)
Not saying that yours and my problem was of the same result but I had one similar.
My XD40 service pistol was doing about the same thing. I have had at least 1500 rounds through mine when it started. I bought a Wolff spring kit (22 lbs instead of factory 17 lbs) and it solved all my problems. It's been working great for over a year now.

I'm guessing that's the recoil spring you're describing. I think I'll talk to my local gunsmith about this before I try throwing in 3rd party parts. But a stronger recoil spring would have that extra "nudge" built in. Makes sense.

Brennan16 02-17-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balota
I'm guessing that's the recoil spring you're describing. I think I'll talk to my local gunsmith about this before I try throwing in 3rd party parts. But a stronger recoil spring would have that extra "nudge" built in. Makes sense.

Plus it will have more longevity.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.