Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   XD Forum (
-   -   XDm .45 - worth getting? (

buckhuntr 10-09-2012 07:28 PM

XDm .45 - worth getting?
I have been thinking about selling my Para P10-45 to fund a newer, less compact pistol, and an XDm .45 is high on the list. But, I'm not completely decided. So, what are the pros and cons of such a move? And I'm in the position that I need to sell one to buy one.
This would be for occasional carry off the property, but mostly for home defense.

buckhuntr 10-10-2012 04:43 PM

Ok, I can infer from the deafening lack of response that either: 1- yall feel that if I have to ask, I shouldn't be dignified with an answer because I just wouldn't understand, or 2- nobody can think of a good reason to trade a Para for an XDm. :confused: :rolleyes:

FearTheFree7 10-10-2012 04:58 PM

I have the compact version and I absolutely love it. It's my main carry since I got it. It is very accurate, the tigger out of the box is really nice. Has a nice consistent pull every time. Feeds every ammo I've put through it from the cheapest of cheap to the expensive hollow points. Never had any type of jam or malfunction. Recoil is actually very nice coming from a polymer .45. Hope this quick review helps.

buckhuntr 10-10-2012 05:32 PM

Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Overkill0084 10-10-2012 05:40 PM

I like the XD & XDm series.
IMHO, the XDm has one of the better polymer pistol triggers. It certainly deserves a spot on your short list. You should see about renting one to be sure how you feel about it.
My primary gripe w/ the XDm is, IMHO, they are a bit pricey considering some of their competition. Opinions vary of course.

kytowboater 10-10-2012 05:43 PM

I've not shot the XDm, I have shot the XD in .45 full size. I loved it, some friends have the XDm in .45 and love it. Never shot one though...

orangello 10-10-2012 06:38 PM

Similarly, i haven't tried the XDm45 but am very happy with my XD45, geezer barrel. It has been reliable and trouble-free like a fat chick date, but it is also cheap to feed, unlike a large lover.

I do not "carry" except in the car.

Threetango 10-10-2012 06:42 PM

I have an XDm 45 and like the others above really like the trigger action and I have shot lots of different brands of ammo smoothly in it and it comes with a whole lot of case candy.

It's a good choice.

It carries well in my Doubletap IWB holster also.

buckhuntr 10-11-2012 06:14 PM

I've pretty much made up my mind to get one now. The only remaining question is: Compact, or 5.25?

msup752 10-11-2012 08:03 PM

I had the almost full sized XDm 45. I thought it was a 5.25 but when I traded it, I was told there was a model with an even longer barrel. It was accurate enough. Reliability was great with factory ammo but some of my lower power reloads didn't agree with it.
My issue was with the grip safety. I hold pistols a particular way with a single hand which holds the chamber slightly open or if I need to inspect the chamber. My hand would not engage the grip safety and I could not open the slide. Since this is an effective muscle memory technique, I always use it and with this gun it didn't work.
I only got rid of it because I wanted a silencer more. Otherwise it was a keeper so you won't be disappointed.